Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 16, 2008, 11:28 PM   #1

Another one of my "I don't know if this is junk or if I like it" pictures. I took it earlier this summer and obviously didn't think much of the color version - I tried a b&w conversion, then promptly forgot about it. I ran across it a couple of days ago when I was backing up some pictures and thought it was striking, though that could be more a reflection of the fact I've been struggling lately with everything. Yesterday I went back to it and didn't like it, thought it was way over-processed.

Somy question is, does this work at all? What did I do right and what did I do wrong? Should I just give this scene up as a loss and forget about it, or is there something I can do next time to improve it (I can easily re-shoot the scene, well it might be hard to get the area so empty of people) or is there something I did wrong when I did the b&w conversion? I really would like some feedback as to how others react to this one.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:08 AM   #2

Harriet, that must be from the wide end of your Pentax 12-24 lens which you introduced usin winter, if memory serves: ) My humble suggestions would be as follows; I think relating the concrete railing of the stairs with one corner of the picture would give a bit moreappeal to the image in terms of using the available axes of the place for the composion. The distortionslightly thrusting the trees and poles to either sides and therefore causes somewhatqueer feel could be adjusted. You might tryapplyingone or two different layers ofphoto filter as well. Below is an example without any photo filter. You might like to improve it right from the start according to your good taste : )

Cheers,

Bahadır

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:10 AM   #3

I agree. With the distortion fixed it'll be a very nice shot.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:01 AM   #4

Cool! You are SO right - it's amazing how that helps this picture. And you are right about both the lens (12-24) and it was taken at 12mm. Thank you very much - tonight I'll pull it out the original and re-process it.

What's interesting is that I usually spot perspective problems with this lens right away, but didn't with this picture for some reason. All Iknew was that something bothered me when I looked atit yesterday. When you see it corrected it becomes so obvious.

Your crop suggestion has given me some ideas about re-shooting the scene from a different point. Don't know if it would work or not, but it will give me something towork onat lunch-time today. Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:23 AM   #5

Sometimes the distortions caused by the lens is a nice effect. Don't be so quick to fix those distortions up. How many of these fix-ups were available back in the film days?

For this scene it appears that you were at the top shooting down. If you re-shoot the scene then I'd suggest you get down very low with your camera and keep it as level as possible.

Because of what you are shooting and the feel I suspect you are after, the placement of the elements is very good. This may be a nice shot to get just after sunrise or just before the sun sets. Consider a different time of day.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:26 AM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
.....Your crop suggestion has given me some ideas about re-shooting the scene from a different point. Don't know if it would work or not, but it will give me something towork onat lunch-time today. Thanks!
Oh, my pleasure, Harriet! You've always posted inspiring images for us.Btw, it's aboutHigh Teahere, and I canexpect to see your lunch timeshotsbefore I go to bed perhaps :-)
Old Oct 17, 2008, 3:31 PM   #7

Rodney - Thanks for your suggestions. It's too bad that this wouldn't work for a sunrise picture since it faces west. It might work well for sunset, but I think the light angles would be wrong as the hill and tall building, further to the westwould put the plaza in shadow when the light is best. I'm never there that late in the day, I probably won't find out (sigh!).

Bahadir's crop made me think about going to the bottom of the steps, getting low and level like you suggested, and shooting up the stairs. I think the distortion in perspectiveof the 12mm lens might really work in the pictures favor, though it'll be tomorrow before I can get up there (worked into my lunch-time - I'll try to find those green California"residents" I spotted yesterday - they weren't as far away as the steps).

As far as correcting perspective - in the old days there were shift lenses and view cameras. Now architects and designers use Photoshop, and seem very happy to have that as an additional tool (an architect was the one who showed me how to do it). But Idoagree with you - the distortion can really make a picture. Here's an example where I thought the 14mm extreme perspective change made for an interesting shot - one that could only be done with an extreme wide angle.

Old Oct 17, 2008, 4:41 PM   #8

mtngal, I like the perspective and the color. My only suggestions: is there a way to include the whole chandelier? Can the picture be leveled a bit clockwise?
Anyhow, a great picture!
Thanks for sharing it.
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 7:07 PM   #9

Hey, I don't think' Can't tell if I like this shot or not'is something anyoneis able tosay about the one above!!! It obviously displays how picking up the correct axes for the composion, especiallyfor architectural photospays back, whichrequires some insight in the first place!

Myonly real concernis thebright part over the arch on the righthandside, which distracts somehow! I applied a 'selective' highlight adjustment there+ some warming filter(85) + a slight saturation pushfor the yellow to preserve the original overall colour, whichworked forme

Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:22 PM   #10

And here I thought I had finally got the horizontal line right in-camera. You are right, the horizontal isn't quite straight (should have checked it instead of saying to myself that it looked straight). Not sure I can get the chandelier in the frame- this was taken at 14mm and my lens is 12 at the widest.

It's an interesting point - I didn't even look at where the chandelier was when I was taking the picture, or pay any attention to it being missing when I was looking it on the monitor. On the other hand, I'm familiar with the building and was concentrating solely on other aspects of the picture. Someone not familiar with what I was looking for would naturally wonder what was at the end of the chain. A good example of why one should look the whole frame, not just the center subject (note to self, pay attention to these words!).