Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 20, 2008, 8:20 AM   #11

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
When I first looked at your first shot this morning the sun was up and my monitor was dull. Now its dark out and my monitor perks up. Your shot looks just incredible. Love the colors and the mood of the picture. Its not over the top HDR which is your style Bahadir. Well done.
How about something like this for the second shot. Enough detail to know what it is but stilll emphasizing the sky.
I often have the same concern as with you at daytime and thereforeavoidto make an edit on someone's picture especially until midnight:-)

"Thank you for yourkind words of appreciation for the 'main course' hdrand valid criticism about the silhouette.You know, people often do not like HDR because of its somewhat punchy unnatural colours, so I tried to keep that aspect as modest as possible in the version I posted there.My A4 size print looks as good or even slightly better than it looks on the screen : )

"Funnylast night Itriedsomething similar on 'the silhouette' tothat of your version,trying to further emphasize some parts of the boat for the observer using some casual broken streaks of lightlike in my painting days: )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 2:15 PM   #12

Nice effort i like #1..could have shown more of the anchor though

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Iwonder if it would work with color by numbers?

http://www.stoik.com/hobby/colorbynumber.htm

..............musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 5:36 AM   #13

musket wrote:
Quote:
Nice effort i like #1..could have shown more of the anchor though

Iwonder if it would work with color by numbers?

http://www.stoik.com/hobby/colorbynumber.htm

..............musket
Thanks for your appreciation and criticism as well as the software suggestion! Perhaps I should have moved the anchor a bit more closer to the boat so as to include more of it but without upsetting the ratio against the boatemphasizinga sense ofperspective and not letting the boat to have a lesser portion in the frame...while stillbeing able to catch the evening sun.

As forcolourbynumber,upon seeingthe brand names Talens and Van Gogh as colour options in it,I almost felt the oil smell I have missed for a long time! I think the acrylic option would give the closer look to myold flame of oil painting...

Old Oct 21, 2008, 5:44 AM   #14

I like your latest creation. It looks like that cloud is rushing right into He ll itself.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:01 AM   #15

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
I like your latest creation. It looks like that cloud is rushing right into He ll itself.
Dear Paul, in that case, there ain't going tobe boringstuff there where the cloud is rushing:G

Well, in fact it was my earliest version I did not consider posting here,because, as I wrote above, usuallythe punchy effect of the hdr is not admired andcalled unnatural or overcooked. However, what I liked in it was theobviously stronger emphasize of the bottom of the boat responding to the cloud in terms of colour!

Thank you for the feedback update : )
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:02 AM   #16

Hmmm - an interesting set of 2 pictures. There are things I like in both of them - the addition has more grittiness, which suits your topic. And the colors seem to compliment it but are also less realistic. I actually think I like it better because it looks less like a photo and more like a sketch, and that fits the subject very much (I don't think I would feel that way if I were looking at a suburban house or something like that). I would choose the first one if I were looking for a portrayal of the subject, the second for an interpretation of the subject, if that makes any sense. The differences aren't that big, but they are significant as far as feeling the pictures convey.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:14 PM   #17

Very beautiful photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:24 AM   #18

Looking at this the 3rd day or so now... still I think #1 is overdone color-wise. It for sure looks "interesting", and if that was your intention --> fine.

I am with Harriet here when it comes to sky/cloud colors, #2 is wonderful in that area. Maybe you could try to work from the -2ev RAW and mix/match some HDR elements or whatever...

As for #1... maybe add a little soften/glow to make it look even more artificial? Just an idea, haven't tried it...

Hm... I am still not done with that... interesting picture... thanks for sharing.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:51 PM   #19

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm - an interesting set of 2 pictures. There are things I like in both of them - the addition has more grittiness, which suits your topic. And the colors seem to compliment it but are also less realistic. I actually think I like it better because it looks less like a photo and more like a sketch, and that fits the subject very much (I don't think I would feel that way if I were looking at a suburban house or something like that). I would choose the first one if I were looking for a portrayal of the subject, the second for an interpretation of the subject, if that makes any sense. The differences aren't that big, but they are significant as far as feeling the pictures convey.
Thank you fortaking your time for theelaborate commentary, Harriet!I am glad to hear I have been able to convey my impression through it! Yourpreference of interpretation of the subject rather thanportrayal or likeness of it reagarding the subject, reminded me the break from 'mimesis' and an anectode; Picassotells a complaining lady that it was a picture not'the fish' itself:-) Perhaps I should have listened mydaughter in the order of posting right from the start..Oh! she has a surprising spontenous good taste and she had also picked the second one!!

Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:52 PM   #20

flutelady wrote:
Quote:
Very beautiful photos.
Happy to read your kind remark

.................................................. ....................

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Looking at this the 3rd day or so now... still I think #1 is overdone color-wise. It for sure looks "interesting", and if that was your intention --> fine.

I am with Harriet here when it comes to sky/cloud colors, #2 is wonderful in that area. Maybe you could try to work from the -2ev RAW and mix/match some HDR elements or whatever...

As for #1... maybe add a little soften/glow to make it look even more artificial? Just an idea, haven't tried it...

Hm... I am still not done with that... interesting

Thank you for the feedback. In fact I tried to keep the colour in #1 as conservative as possible knowing about people's dissatisfaction about the 'hdr colours' in general:? Anyway, perhaps I could come up with a third version soon!! Btw, upon seeing your edit on Bynx's original flower, I'd also like to see one forthe laid up boat above: )