Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 22, 2008, 5:21 PM   #21

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. In fact I tried to keep the colour in #1 as conservative as possible knowing about people's dissatisfaction about the 'hdr colours' in general:? Anyway, perhaps I could come up with a third version soon!! Btw, upon seeing your edit on Bynx's original flower, I'd also like to see one forthe laid up boat above: )

I am not against "HDR-colors", it's just that I want to know if the creator of the image wanted the special effect or was just trying to increase dynamic range, two very different things to my mind

As for the edit, I already examined the image, but with only the really dark JPEG here I'd end up with something like this (only used the 2nd image as source). I might be able to do more if you would share the RAW file. Really sorry, but I can't recover image details and color from (almost) pure black

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 6:12 PM   #22

beautiful work, as i would expect!!!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 2:35 AM   #23

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
I am not against "HDR-colors", it's just that I want to know if the creator of the image wanted the special effect or was just trying to increase dynamic range, two very different things to my mind

As for the edit, I already examined the image, but with only the really dark JPEG here I'd end up with something like this (only used the 2nd image as source). I might be able to do more if you would share the RAW file. Really sorry, but I can't recover image details and color from (almost) pure black

Regards,
Th.
Asyou must have also inferred from my statementsthroughout the tread,the creator of the image was afterattaining kind of balance as a means of composition by emphasizing the thered bottom of the boat and of the rustyanchor responding the cloud of copper which could be best displayed by the merits of hdr : )Actually picture #1 also benefited from a layer from the +2 evexposed shot for a somewhat smoother transition considering 'less hdrfavoured' tastes...

Btw, thanksforyour kind interest and taking your time for the edit! You've made the silhouttessomewhat more recognisable bybrightening up. Actually I had thought you'd make your edit basing on #1 bringing 'the sky/clouds' elements from #2 or vice-versa. Anyway,I cangladly send the raw file if you pm me an e-mail ; )

Cheers,

Bahadır

.................................................. .......................

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps wrote:
Quote:
beautiful work, as i would expect!!!
I'm so pleased to read your kind appreciation, dear colleague:-D

Hey,what happened toyour remarkable avatar??:-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:16 AM   #24

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Actually I had thought you'd make your edit basing on #1 bringing 'the sky/clouds' elements from #2 or vice-versa. Anyway,I cangladly send the raw file if you pm me an e-mail ; )

Cheers,

Bahadır
PM sent.

As for the edit... I always want to see the colors DIRECTLY from the image at first. I THEN *might* consider some HDR works. That's why I went for the single, hdr-untouched image #2.

It's actually not only a brighthen, took me about 30mins or so and several steps/layers to achive the result, which really looks unimpressive after all the work :sad:

I'll see what information the RAW will give me.

Regards,
Th.

P.S.: Composition/color wise I am way more attracted by the red colors in the lower left image area, which work as a counterpart to the red clouds - at least for me
Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:35 AM   #25

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:

It's actually not only a brighthen, took me about 30mins or so and several steps/layers to achive the result, which really looks unimpressive after all the work :sad:

I'll see what information the RAW will give me.

Regards,
Th.
Oh, I knew it wasn'tmerely an overall act of'brighten-up' tool and therefore thanked for taking your time:|What I meantwasits effect on the 'unrecognisable silhouette' issue which was discussed before: ) I should thank youagain for your lasting interest..Btw I see a message notification above
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 9:05 AM   #26

amazing work

robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 5:59 PM   #27

AH! NOW we are talking !!!

/OT on
I want a camera with ISO100, too! Compared with my DL2 (ISO200 minimum) that image is much clearer in -2ev mode and has less noise.*sniff* :sad:
/OT off

It's a great capture, Bahadir - nice dynamic range in the RAW file, a pleasure to work with. As a start I tried to see what a normal RAW development would look like, without pushing things too far. This is what I got. No tricks but the RAW converter and standard postprocessing (histogram, layer multiply, sharpen, resizing - that kind of stuff). The only touchup is a somewhat more vibrant color as I felt the red clouds looked a tad flat compared with the original RAW. Very minor adjustment, though. From my personal experience I think this could be something you really saw, of course your eyes had a better dynamic range... but color and overall feeling is quite nice to my mind. (since I depend on a TFT monitor, this statement is somewhat... umm... guesswork, I hope it works for your monitor). Color rendition of the stones and the sky looks good to me, I am quite surprised about the ships paint, which truly is very colorful/saturated, I thought it would be more pale... but the RAW converter insisted on these strong and saturated colors /shrug - who am I to question that?

It's already midnight here so I'll stop that here, but I will for sure try some other tricks, also in the HDR area, within the next days, as this was one main theme for this thread.

Regards,
Th.

#1 - direct (single) RAW development and a minor touchup
Attached Images

Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:04 PM   #28

I like the first offering by bahadir. Definitely fits the title. It is much akin to a watercolor and the detail and emotion I feel from this reminds me of my father from his fishing days back home in Hawai'i.

The silouhette needs to be a bit darker or less detail shown for it to be a "silouhette". It is a matter of preference for me and it is a nice alternative to the original work shown here. The edits look good but does not surpass the first offering.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 1:34 PM   #29

Ok, here we go. This is my HDR attempt (please no discussion about "no HDR possible from a single RAW" - call it DRI, MDRI or whatever).

@bahadir
I focussed on bringing out as much detail (structure/color) as possible while still trying to produce a photo, which doesn't look too artificial (we *are* talking about a certain kind of effect with that HDR approach, which includes somewhat vivid/strong colors and so on - but I don't want that shining/halo look). So *technically*as much dynamic range as possible was recovered from the RAW, histograms are used up almost completely, highlights and shadows (that's not what I used, though) adjusted etc.I already told you that I like clouds, so I payed extra attention to the sky and the clouds , maybe more than to the ship /blush. I am a bit worried about saturation, it's always hard to judge that in HDR's for me having only TFT's here. :?As for details - not much left in the RAW in the lower left corner... this is everything I could get without really destroying the overall image look, other than that I am quite pleasedwith image quality - astonishing, what a -2ev shot can give you. What do you say? Out of 3 attempts that was the best one, I stacked some self-made "bracketing shots" (JPEG's, developed from the RAW with different settings), mixed and matched layers and did some normal post-processing afterwards.

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:57 PM   #30

Very interesting makes the mind wonder just what that boat has gone through in its' life.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote