Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:16 AM   #1

The first one is a fiveshot hdr with 2 ev spacing and the second one is simply a -2ev shot in raw...And about the setting; that's aftersome twenty minutes'walking distance from my home; a fisherman's quay where you can also have a snack of fish and beer: )

UPDATE...and here's asomewhat 'harsher' hdr version..

and#4; another takefor the silhouette..

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:33 AM   #2

The first one is a very nice shot, though they eyes are really curious about some of the interesting elements that have been cut off. Is there possibly a wider view? The image could also use a contrast boost.

For me, the second one just looks like an image that is too dark instead of a nice silhouette.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 4:54 PM   #3

Awesome shot Bahadir! It looks almost watercolor painting like. Love it!
Bob
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 5:07 PM   #4

Rod, myconcernhere was more relatedwitha 'complementary' counter balanceofmasses and colour on the groundand in the sky, which might disappointthe curious eyessearchingfurther of the individual interesting pieces...And when it comes to silhouette, it's often a property of perception whether or not to enjoy what it is which distinguishesthe sky from theground in the light of the experience, I suppose.

Regards,

Bahadır
Old Oct 19, 2008, 5:12 PM   #5

shadokachr wrote:
Quote:
Awesome shot Bahadir! It looks almost watercolor painting like. Love it!
Bob
Thank you for letting me know your opinion, Bob! Your comparing it to watercolour painting was a rewarding one for me : )
Old Oct 19, 2008, 6:32 PM   #6

I gotta try HDR one of these days - it certainly does interesting things to a picture. I like the color in the clouds in the second one better - the HDR version isn't as vibrant (I think I would have been tempted to just move the clouds from the second one onto the HDR one, if it would work). Otherwise, the HDR is really cool!

I'm not crazy about the silhouette - to me it's hard to make sense of the black shapes. If the angle had been that you could have only had one shape (i.e., the boat only) then I would have liked it much better. But I would still prefer your HDR one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 6:57 PM   #7

I really don't like the second picture. maybe i don't understand it at all.

But...

the first one is simply WONDERFUL. I'm sure if I look at it long enough, I will see some form of life emerging of it and moving around. Great job, Bahadir!
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:22 PM   #8

When I first looked at your first shot this morning the sun was up and my monitor was dull. Now its dark out and my monitor perks up. Your shot looks just incredible. Love the colors and the mood of the picture. Its not over the top HDR which is your style Bahadir. Well done.
How about something like this for the second shot. Enough detail to know what it is but stilll emphasizing the sky.

Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 7:55 AM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I gotta try HDR one of these days - it certainly does interesting things to a picture. I like the color in the clouds in the second one better - the HDR version isn't as vibrant (I think I would have been tempted to just move the clouds from the second one onto the HDR one, if it would work). Otherwise, the HDR is really cool!

I'm not crazy about the silhouette - to me it's hard to make sense of the black shapes. If the angle had been that you could have only had one shape (i.e., the boat only) then I would have liked it much better. But I would still prefer your HDR one.
Surely, you'll pull it off, Harriet!, Just keep in mind, according to my humble experience, that the exposureof first shot with 0 EV is really important like the opening shotin billards :-)

I should alsothank for your insightful criticism. Actually I also considered clonning the samecloud in the silhouette version on the hdr, yetabandonedthat idea so as notrisk the cloud becoming the main center of attraction (!!). But I had an earlier version in which the 'red' at bottom of the boat was way stronger. Perhaps I can apply it to that one and present itto your good taste : )

As for the silhouette, I wouldn't post it here separately Actually I decided to add it at the last moment because I liked the cloud of copper floating over black silhouettes.A more 'distinct' boat shape wouldmake more sense of course..
Old Oct 20, 2008, 7:57 AM   #10

artmustel wrote:
Quote:
I really don't like the second picture. maybe i don't understand it at all.

But...

the first one is simply WONDERFUL. I'm sure if I look at it long enough, I will see some form of life emerging of it and moving around. Great job, Bahadir!
Thank you for your wonderful incentive for the 'intended' main course, Art:-)

Ah, just consider the second onesthlike an uvertureas I explained above! ''It is often an intution, or an emotion whichmight even be called a 'pre thought'which takes a while to interpret throughly later,but makingyou to take out the camera from its case first...'' I wrote in some other post, which quite applies to me...but again which mightmake mewanderon the verge subjectivism!