Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 30, 2008, 2:13 PM   #1

Ok, I've tried various mods to the following shot just wanted to see what you guys think is the best. Or if you have any suggestions for tweaks...

Original shot:

Unsaturated shot:

Unsaturated and cropped:

Original with some orange hue and added saturation

Could possibly do with frames added as well...(no room for that software on my pc at the moment).
Bigfootpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:18 PM   #2

To be honest, I think your trying real hard to make that shot work.

My sense is that you might have wanted to walk around and tried different shots at different angles.

Sometimes a subject, as much as you try, doesn't translate into a great photo.

When that happens, try something else.

So - yes those are interesting trees, yes there's some fog, yes the scene is backlit, but the whole thing didn't really work out. I don't think different cropping and different effects are going to change that fact.

The fact your out there trying is good. You'll figure it out!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 5:36 PM   #3

I would go with a cropped version of the last attempt (orange hue + sat). I am with Terry on one hand, on the other you can't change the things... Pick your fate... delete the photo or live with what you got. You got those trees, you got the light, the fog and stuff... try to direct the vistors eye and imagination with color/isolation/cropping and be happy

my 2 cents
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:53 AM   #4

Lol

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Wel firstly I spent almost an hour at that area and took loads of shots at lots of different angles.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"This shot works for me - the Orange one is my current wallpaper :lol:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I like the way the light shines through the trees over the bench.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Sure there are are lot of things wrong with it, but it has a likeable quality...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Bigfootpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:41 AM   #5

I'm with thkn777. Try to lead your viewer to the intended center of interest by isolating it, cropping the image a bit tighter (too much sky), adjusting the color for more impact and contrast between the elements. Consider the rule of thirds and how/if the rule is useful for this image.

I couldn't appreciate the edits for various reasons so if you give it another try I'd like to see what you come up with.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:20 AM   #6

Why did you not give up working with that image? ( just a rhetoric question!)

I humbly feel that byclonning out the distracting 'round of sun',one might let a somewhatrefinedbeautylend itselftaking advantage ofthe contra light without prescriptive or proscriptive statements...

Just forgive the sketchiness : )

PS. ''Well firstly I spent almost an hour at that area and took loads of shots at lots of different angles'' - It seemsthe houryou spent therehas really paidoff,since I still enjoyobserving it after a few hours ( Mickleham Churchyard Dorking in my mind) with a glass of red wine after returning hometo add a frame also ...

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:46 PM   #7

Hey,
I played around a bit, came up with a complete different color due to channel works, more filigree tree branches and a sun, which is clearly separated from the sky. Cropped in a way, that ground and background tree line is at 1/3 and 2/3. Gives a completely different image.

Channel works was interesting, it enhanced some features in the image and some not, maybe you can try to go for a specific look that way.

Just trying to help and to answer your question, but am not completely happy with it.

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote