Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 9, 2008, 4:25 PM   #1

I have a d-flector and used it to take this pic. I am disappointed because I want my background to be whiter. The pic was taken indoors in my craftroom under a reg ceiling fan light. I had the settings at Macro and Tungsten.

I am using a Cannon Power Shot SX100 IS

bellamaraes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:18 PM   #2

I think the problem was the use of the tungsten setting. Tungsten shifts the colors to a cooler temperature in order to make the orang-ish tungsten light more neutral. Because of that, white will appear more blue. If you use a flash covered with a a CT orange gel and fire it at the background, you could possibly make it appear more white in appearance.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 9:20 PM   #3

My camera offers me to set it in:

AWB, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, and Custom which shows a display of Evaluate White Balance.

Given I have no idea how to go into custom and make changes I just don't even venture that option.

What is a CT orange gel. Sorry I am not accustomed to some of this terminology.

I have PSP9, and I use Picnik to help edit my photos. Not sure if either are good.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 9:29 PM   #4

Setting a custom white balance is usually pretty easy. You'd need to read your manual to see the exact commands, but most cameras work in a similar manner - you go into the custom white balance setting, point the camera at something white (I've used coffee filters, white paper, white walls in a mall, snow in a pinch), or a grey card, push the shutter and then check to see that the camera made the change correctly. Normally takes a minute, maybe two, so don't be afraid to try it.

Sometimes your white object really isn't white and the balance will be off (I used several different white objects in the mall until I got a balance I thought correct). It's something that can come in very handy under all kinds of different circumstances.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:27 AM   #5

To get the white background white, you have to expose for the white background, and open up a stop or two. The camera will try to render the background 18% gray (hence you're grayish background instead of white). Also, you generally need lots of light to blow the background white.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 6:50 PM   #6

Thaks for the tips. I will go back and work with the lighting.

Would you say natural outdoor lighting around noon time is better than being indoors?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:15 PM   #7
Super Moderator

If you get the white balance right then it wouldn't matter but a nice outdoor cloudy day is always nice lighting.

I've done a quick white balance and curves adjustment on this, still not perfect but should give you an idea what you might end up with.

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:04 PM   #8

That is a lot nicer than the pic I took. What kind of photo editing are you using? I have PSP9 and sometimes tend to use Picnik.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:08 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I used PSP X and the main adjustment was the colour balance so picked a middle tone area of blue so that it became white and it took the rest with it. I then used curves for brightness so blow out the highlights and add some contrast. Here is the curve I used for this.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:10 PM   #10

Thank you, again!