Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 10, 2008, 6:43 AM   #1

Greenhouse that I saw in Rhodes town would like some feedback as I am just starting with HDR. Posted on another forum without any C&C so trying on here.

russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:13 AM   #2

While I really like the second one, the first thing I saw was that it's rotated - the horizontal lines are sloping (I'm always rotating my pictures as I have a hard time not tilting the camera). If you don't mind, I rotated it a bit and thought it looked better.

I can't decide about the first one. It looks rather dreamy, the softness in the picture (was that from the HDR process? I've never tried it so don't know) rather fits the lighting. However, that's not really my taste - I tend to be drawn more to sharper pictures, like your second one, which is why I'm not sure about the first one.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 2:40 AM   #3

Hi, Firstly thank you for your comments.
I had to take the 1st through the glass of the greenhouse door (locked) maybe thats why it came out looking a bit soft. I have uped the contrast slightly and reposted.
The second was rotated but obviously not enough.
Again thanks for the input.
Attached Images

russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:08 AM   #4

I quote like both shots. The greenhouse is dreamy indeed. Almost looks animated in a way.

I like that your use of HDR was not too overdone, and the softness of the shot actually is a mood setter for me. Great job
ScoobyDooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:57 AM   #5

I like the first version of the greenhouse better, but that's my personal taste. The one thing I really liked about it in the first place was the dreaminess of it, the second one doesn't quite have the same atmosphere - it adds color/saturation, which (to me at least) takes away the dreaminess of the picture, but doesn't offer extra sharpening - not surprising since you were shooting through glass. It also depends on which monitor I look at them on - I've used 3 different monitors at various times over the last 2 days and have noticed how different the picture looks depending on monitor.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote