Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:28 AM   #1

Hi, Another attaempt at HDR hope you don't mind:lol:

My own observation is that as the trees meet the sky it turns rather white and I don't no how to fix it.

russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2008, 8:31 PM   #2

What does HDR mean? I don't get it.

I think the white is caused by lens flare.

You could probably crop out a little bit of the left side of the photo which should help to take attention away from it.

Wow, nice orphanage - check me in!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:09 PM   #3

I was hoping one of the people who uses HDR software all the time would respond. This is the reason why I've been reluctant to get too involved with it - I think this is a common fault. There may be a way of dealing with this through the HDR software, but since I'm so clueless about it, I wouldn't know. One suggestion I do have is to take the one frame that has the sky you like, then cut and paste it on the HDR picture. The only problem area would be the tree on the left, you'd have to play with it.

Terry - I don't claim to know much about HDR, but I've wanted to try it. I think it stands for High Dynamic Range or something like that. Basically, you take a couple of frames of the same subject, varying the exposure so you have an otherwise underexposed shot that has good detail in the highlights to a picture that would be over-exposed but has detail in shadows. Then there's software that combines the frames and blends them so you get detail in the shadows and the highlights. It's useful for situations where the dynamic range of the scene is beyond the capability of the sensor, but often results in what you see here in the sky. Since I've never tried it (though I'm interested as I often have trouble trying to take scenes with too much range) I don't know all of the ins and outs.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:12 PM   #4

I just checked it out.

I wonder if you have to use a tripod in order to the get the photos of different exposures to fit each other?

A better idea would be digicams with better dynamic range to begin with (maybe in the near future?)

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:18 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I was hoping one of the people who uses HDR software all the time would respond. This is the reason why I've been reluctant to get too involved with it - I think this is a common fault. There may be a way of dealing with this through the HDR software, but since I'm so clueless about it, I wouldn't know. One suggestion I do have is to take the one frame that has the sky you like, then cut and paste it on the HDR picture. The only problem area would be the tree on the left, you'd have to play with it.

Terry - I don't claim to know much about HDR, but I've wanted to try it. I think it stands for High Dynamic Range or something like that. Basically, you take a couple of frames of the same subject, varying the exposure so you have an otherwise underexposed shot that has good detail in the highlights to a picture that would be over-exposed but has detail in shadows. Then there's software that combines the frames and blends them so you get detail in the shadows and the highlights. It's useful for situations where the dynamic range of the scene is beyond the capability of the sensor, but often results in what you see here in the sky. Since I've never tried it (though I'm interested as I often have trouble trying to take scenes with too much range) I don't know all of the ins and outs.
Hi, Thank you for the input. May I suggest if you would like to learn more about HDR have a look here http://www.visualphotoguide.com/cate...r-photography/
Also worth a look at
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=hdri&w=all

Again Thanks for comments.
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:08 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I was hoping one of the people who uses HDR software all the time would respond.

You can't mean me, do you?? :-)

Quote:
...One suggestion I do have is to take the one frame that has the sky you like, then cut and paste it on the HDR picture. The only problem area would be the tree on the left, you'd have to play with it.
Very good suggestion Harriet quite fitting your overall insightfulness in photography! You might also findthe following humble processIdevised out of necessity quite reliable;

1)Open the hdr output and theunderexposed shotnearest the original shot (ev 0) @ photoshop.

2)Tweak with the underexposed image until you attain a beautiful blue sky. You don't need to bother for the rest!

3)then drag the the hdr image over the 'tweaked' underexposed one.Reduce the opacity of the overlaying hdr layer to be able to match the two layers minutely and then start clearing the sky in the hdr layer using the eraser tooluntil you have a decent sky. Try adjusting the brush size and opacity for the eraser tool during the process. Don't forget to increase the opacity of the overlaying layer. Save as and enjoy : )

However the hdr software alingns the exposuresI'd suggest using a tripod for best results.Make sure you did not leave themetering modeat 'spotmetering',which I mostly use for everthing else! And I should also add that even shooting in hdr (!) a well exposedoriginal shot (ev 0) determines the rest like the opening shot in billards ; )

Btw, I should say I quite liked the building andI tweaked a little on your original, Russellsnr. Hope you don't mind..

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote