Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:26 AM   #1

I've got a new computer and new software, so I thought I would try a couple of new things. I've also been working with a flash, something I've been struggling with.

I wanted to see what this picture looked like when posted. I rather like the lighting/flash aspect of it (shadows to give it a feeling of shape, but not too harsh). I used too large of an aperture (f2.8 ) - I would have preferred more of the flower to be in focus. The background wasn't the greatest, so I darkened it quite a bit - might have over-done that aspect. I was also using the high pass filter method for sharpening for the first time. I have a MacBook Pro, and the monitor is almost too good - I noticed that some pictures which looked OK on the laptop were softer than I liked when I looked at them on my work computer.

What does the picture look like to you - sharp, soft or over-sharp? Is the lighting OK, or is there something I can do to improve my flash pictures? Does it look over-processed? I don't think so tonight but might feel completely different tomorrow. I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions - it will help me get a better feel for my new set-up.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:49 AM   #2

If I hadnt read all the things to did to this pic Id have thought it was just well done and with just the right amount of sunlight. The shadow on the flower is a nice touch as it adds the realism and doesnt look like a flash shot. I agree with you that more of the flower could be in focus, but what is in focus is just right. From the right petal the lines take you right down the throad of the flower. As for the background, what's too dark? Its a nice contrast between the white, purple, and green. So nice job there too. All round I would say new computer, new software and same old great shots.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:12 AM   #3

.......I agree with Bynx, no suggestions from me 'cuz it looks terrific on my HP w2207 monitor. Good job, work it out to your satisfaction and we will like it too.
_________
boBBrennan
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:52 PM   #4

Thanks for giving me some confidence in my set-up. I really haven't scratched the surface of what CS4 can do - documentation is a bit sketchy at the moment, and I get tripped up. Main thing I've figured out is that Bridge is far more useful than it had been under CS2.

I'm still trying to figure out about flash. Glad that others think the light from my cone coffee filter diffuser works out all right, as I've had trouble dealing with the harsh light for close-ups/macro, regardless of whether I've used the flash on the camera or off it.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 4:18 PM   #5

Picture looks good to me, not soft or over sharpen, can't tell that a flash was used and the shadowed area has good detial in it adding to the over picture.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 7:05 PM   #6

I like the shot very much! I don't think all parts of a flower need to be perfectly sharp. Most flowers center of interest is the stamen, that's where the bees like to go, and I usually concentrate on that as my area of critical sharpness.
In other words, your pic is awesome!

P.S. An example of my long winded comment is the Nov 10th Pic of the day. It's one I took this spring in our garden.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:35 AM   #7

Your picture is a well deserving of its POD selection - definitely better than mine. I like the way that the top "plane" (don't know how better to explain it) is sharp, then parts of the flower that are on different planes/levels are not. I think mine would have been much better if the petals on the left were also in focus - that would make that whole plane/level in focus. It would have been easy enough to do if I had paid attention to the camera settings instead of concentrating strictly on the flash set-up. I'm not really good at explaining what I'm thinking, and perhaps I'm off base on it, too.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 5:01 PM   #8

I understand what you mean. A little softness on the petals can be helpful in leading the eye to the point of interest.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 5:14 PM   #9

I like it for its technical merits, but the main reason I like it is because it makes me feel good to look at it! Nothing distracting, good color, good exposure. Looks like I'm there seeing it in person.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 5:52 PM   #10

Well done Harriet! It has such an absorbing 3D look this way, with'in focus'parts being razor sharpbut without anover processed look

Though it isn'tvery necessary, I'dcrop a little from the righthanside and slightly from the topso as not to allow some of theattention (however little it could be)be directedon the details of the out of focus flower on the bottom right corner.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote