Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:23 PM   #1

Hi
I have been using a Rebel XTi and a Canon 70-200 2.8 to take photos of my kids playing hockey - some turn out better than others. Here is one example. This one was taken in AV at 1600 ISO. The shutter turned out to be 1/250. I have tried lots of different settings but haven't seemed to find what is best - or maybe this photo is as good as I can get?? I have tried shooting in RAW but have found the processing to be a pain in the butt. Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8...D550/ry%3D400/
CarsonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2008, 2:40 PM   #2

Your link only leads to a sign-in page, not to your photos. Try to change it to the one that belongs to your album.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:03 PM   #3

Hi
Sorry about that - thanks for letting me know - hope it works now.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:00 PM   #4

The image doesn't contain any EXIF data, so it's hard to know what's going on, but I think your white balance is off, and the shot is underexposed.

How's this?
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:00 PM   #5
Super Moderator

A few things will help this.

Framing, if a subject is not in the centre of the shot then they want to moving into the frame not out of it

Exposure, with hockey you are going to generally get under exposed shots due to the white ice, go for manual or at least use exposure compensation so that you get a more accurate exposure.

White balance, your shots here is 'warm' so shoot in manual white balance rather than auto.

I've done a quick edit with what you have so you can see the difference.

How that helps,

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:34 PM   #6

Hi
Thanks for the ideas. I think I did use some exposure compensation but not enough I guess. By manual white balance do you mean a custom white balance using the ice? Would you suggest moving out of the AV mode to manual? - besides getting to specify the shutter speed what advantage would this give me? Can I compensate for darker images with a faster shutter by upping the exposure compensation?

Also - what did you do to make the ice look nice and white? I've been playing with the software that came with my Mac but haven't been able to do anything like that.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:49 PM   #7

I played around with your picture in iPhoto, a program I don't normally use (I use Lightroom2 and Photoshop mostly). However, as a very recent convert to Mac, I thought I would play with it a bit. Here's what I came up with just using iPhoto. You can adjust for color cast with a color picker - use it to choose something that's either grey or white. I used the ice, though it worked with the boards behind the goalie, too. The program also lets you adjust color manually, but I've never been good with that. You can use the exposure slider to adjust the overall brightness of the picture.

All I did was choose your photo in iPhoto, entered the full frame mode and that enters the edit mode for the program. Click on the adjust button (bottom of screen - there's a pop-up tool bar that's there and it's toward the right) and that brings up a bunch of sliders, along with what looks like an eye dropper (the color picker).

It took me longer to read the help instructions and then figure out how to enter the edit mode to find the adjustment button than it did to make the adjustments. I tried double clicking the picture but that didn't bring up the edit mode. I noticed under view that there was an option for full screen - selected that and it opened the picture in edit mode.
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:36 AM   #8

Just for the heck of it, I took a look at all four versions of the photo in PSE6's histogram.

Here's the histogram from CarsonS's original.

The significant Red curve on the right is from the redish cast of the image.

Here's the histogram from mine:

The impact of the Red is greatly reduced, but still aparent.

Here's the histogram from Mark1616's:

The image is brighter, and now the Blue becomes slightly more prominent.

Here's the histogram from mtngal's:

This image is, perhaps, too bright. All the curves are at the right edge, perhaps indicating blown highlights.

Am I reading this correctly?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:03 AM   #9

I wasn't trying to adjust it properly - I was only trying to see what iPhoto, a program I'veonly used oncebefore, could do (make adjustments to exposure and white balance, with a program I assume the poster has as it's the program that comes with current Macs). I was mainly surprised that it had the adjustment capability it actually has, and perhaps with some practice, it could be a useful program for those who want an easy to use program that comes free with their computer. However, I found it quite heavy-handed with the slider adjustments,and most likely won't use it again, far preferring Lightroom or Photoshop. I hadpreviously discovered that it doesn't resize large pictures down very well.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:34 AM   #10

My initial experience with iPhoto was not a pleasent one, but that was a while ago.

My son and daughter-in-law both swear by Aperture, but they both work for Apple, so they might be biased.