Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:03 PM   #1

What would you call this picture... macro? just a normal shot? snapshot?

I would appreciate some feedback on these two. Thanks ahead of time. Ryan

PS, I'm still playing around with my new D80, going on three weeks and I just love this camera. Hopefully Santa brings some new glass this Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3078369049/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3079195608/

syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:02 PM   #2

Is the flag picture not in good taste?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 4:14 PM   #3

Hi Syke,

Congrats on your new camera! Hope it gives youmuch pleasure and many memories.

First off, I'm not a professional photographer-just a guy who enjoys taking pictures so take what I say with a grain of salt. But from my perspective photography is much like art in that it's quite subjective. What may look great to you may not look so interesting to others. After all, we take pictures to please us first and hopefully others second.

Having said that, as far as your photos are concerned, I like the first one better than the 2nd. The issue I have with it is that the cropping doesn't draw the viewers eye to anything in particular. From my perspective, if you focused on the stars, as an example and made them the focal point it would improve the image. Also, the angle of the stripes and stars is at an awkward angle(IMHO). I think the image would be quite a bit better if it the "Flag" was vertical or horizontal.

The issue I have with the 2nd image is that i'm not sure what you want the viewer to look at. I'm not really drawn into anything in particular.

As for your question regarding are the photo's subject appropriate? - Absolutely. If the flag was on fire - now that wouldn't be good thing.

Just my 2cents, but if you tried taking the shot again with the flag at vertical while focusing on the stars, you may have a more pleasing image.

Hope that helps.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 4:48 PM   #4

Ive looked at your two photos a couple of times not really knowing what to say in a positive manner. I think that zig pretty well covers it nicely and I agree with all he had to say. When you submit a photo I think you should be the first critic. If you think its good enough to hang on the wall thats a start. Then ask your self why? If you have a good answer then ask others. If you told me you thought either/both of these shots were good enough to hang on your wall, Id have to ask ...... Why? And for the answer to this I refer back to zig.
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 5:33 PM   #5

I truly appreciate the replies and info. First off.... Zig, I am glad you said what you have said.... it shed a totally new light on what and why I was taking that picture. Now that I have read your post a few times and I have studied my own picture I can really sense where you are coming from. The second picture is useless. It does nothing at all. In fact its borderline confusing.

With that being said, pictureone is better but still lacking. I can definitely see now that the stars are not in sharp focus, in fact the white stripe below the stars seems to be the eye catcher.... which is really just a white painted board, nothing fancy.

The background is kind of troubling to me.... it seems the wood wall blends in with the red stripes.

I do kinda like the angle of the shot on picture 1 though.

This flag is at my wife's parents house so I should have access to this photo again.

Bynx- I appreciate your info.... At first I thought the1st picture was a wall hanger.... not now, youguys spoiled that for me. :lol:You brought up a good question... "why". I can not come up with a good answer.

My first thought now is.... maybe get back out to the house with the flag on the wall and sit there a minute and study it. Then ask myself "why". If I can come up with a good answer I will shoot some more pictures. If I can not come up with a good answer... then just let it be and move on to something else.

Its all in good fun.... I appreciate the help guys. Every time I do this critique stuff I learn valuable information. Thanks again. Ryan

PS, these shots were straight from the D80. No photoshop or NX, although I have both programs, after only 3 weeks with the slr photoshop is a ways down on the "to learn" list.

Old Dec 3, 2008, 6:09 PM   #6

Hi Syke,

Bynx's why question is a great one. Have to remember it myself.

Glad you have access to the flag so that you can give it another go. you mentioned that you would sit down and study the flag and try to compose what you want to achieve prior to taking anymore shots. That's a huge step in the right direction.

You may also want to consider lighting. Is the flag outside or if it's inside near a window, where it may be brightened by the Sun? If so, that can add dramatic effect to you image.

As for the angle, if you like it try it again, then try it once on the vertical and then a 3rd time on the horizontal. See which one comes out the best.

Hope to see your next batch of images soon.

Good luck and keep shooting

:|

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:37 PM   #7

Syke, when you get down the road and are ready to start in on Photoshop keep me in mind and I can help you out on a few things you might be interested in. Just email or PM me.
Bynx
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:56 PM   #8

Sounds good... thanks again guys. Very helpful.