Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:42 PM   #1

I just took this image a few minutes ago in Downtown Sacramento. To me it seems like I am doing something wrong as in composition. I know the exposure is correct, the color is pops out, it is focus and the horizon seems straight.

For some reason this image just looks boring. I think it is because there is no main subject in this picture. But in landscape you don't really need a main subject right?

Please tell me if you find anything wrong with this picture of how I can compose it to make it better the next time I find myself shooting like this.

Tell me what you like and/or don't like about it.

Thanks
-SAi
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:48 PM   #2

It is a beautifully exposed shot. But there is something......I feel distracted by so many things. The tracks lead me to the center, and there are some pillars off in the distance. But I can't quite make them out.

I messed around with cropping it differently, but I couldn't get it just right.

But it is very nice to look at!
robintrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:22 PM   #3

You hit the nail on the head. Its the shot itself. The kind of landscape that looks great is one in which you would like to find yourself in. I wouldnt care to be in this scene. Its boring as you say. All the aspects is right, your exposure, focus etc but its just a scene which doesnt do anything for me. I guess thats the difference between an ok scene and a great one -- that desire to be there.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:50 PM   #4

Composition is where I'm weakest so take the following with a grain of salt.

Just my opinion, but I think landscape pictures need a subject of some sort. It might not be one specific item like a tree, but a wide vista taken from a mountain top is certainly a subject. An abstract also has a subject, even if it's only shapes and colors. Here you almost have too many subjects - the tracks and fence lead you into the picture, but only to a column (overpass?) which I didn't think was all that interesting. Then you also have the car on the siding, which I thought was neat, but my eye kept following the tracks. It reminds me of many of my own pictures, where I saw several really cool things, and wanted to capture it all (or couldn't make up my mind which one I wanted to shoot). They never work for me, either. If you can go back, try to simplify the scene and see if it helps (though it might not work). Bynx has a good point about wanting to be in a scene.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 3:44 AM   #5

An interesting aspect of artworks is that we like gazing atthings in them which we normally wouldn't in real life...It is often the point of view which arranges diagonals, masses and colours into a composion which draws the perception, and which is oftennot attained from average human height! I think portrait orientation including lots of sky de emphasizes the subject hereas well asoffering a somewhat 'squeezed' look. I arranged the lighting, triedmeeting the diagonal lines with the corners of the frame, cropped and distorted. Hope you don't mind my take...Btw, I should mention that your picture brought back somefar far away memories of the peaceful towns I visited and played in my childhood : )

Cheers,

Bahadır
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:19 AM   #6

I definitely like Bahadir's crop better. But even so, it's just not an interesting use of lines as everything just converges on center. But it is an important point - there CAN be beauty in a scene that isn't a place you want to go. I.E. the lines or curves or texture of an image can be beautiful but then the photo needs to convey that. Sadly, I am HORRIBLE at that aspect of photography. Still working on the artistic side of my brain I guess.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 1:08 PM   #7

Another tip to keep in mind when shooting a picture is that it is not required to stand while taken the picture. Try that same shot but get low to the ground putting more attention on the train tracks.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:52 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the commons and tips.

Bahadir, thanks again for saving my picture.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:22 AM   #9

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the commons and tips.

Bahadir, thanks again for saving my picture.
Just my pleasure! Btw, I should say, having visited your page at smugmug I especiallyliked the first two pictures of the Yosemitegallery
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote