Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:25 AM   #1

First, this is probably not the right forum for this question, so the moderators may want to move it to a more appropriate place. No offense taken.

White Balance is a new problem for me and I'm slowly beginning to understand it. But I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer either.

How do I know (at the moment i'm shooting) that there's going to be a white balance issue? Second, once I know that there's a potential problem, I broke my magic wand, so how do I know what steps to take to correct the problem?

Michael

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:28 AM   #2

There are basically 3 kinds of light to think of when you are shooting. Sunlight, regular light bulb lights, and fluorescent lights. Studio lights are another type but are usually designed to match sunlight. So what you do is look what is creating the light source. Fluorescent light gives a greenish cast to your photos. While regular light bulbs give an orangish shift. There are filters you can use that screw on your lens if you can go that route. Otherwise, you just use your White Balance feature in your camera and dial in the light source that you are shooting. The greenish fluorescent color is never nice. But sometimes light bulb source gives a nice warmth to your pics.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:44 AM   #3

Okay Canon users, I sure could use your help. I'm reading my manual and I'm not sure what the white balance symbols mean.

I've got AWB - That either Auto White Balance or Average White Band

a dot with lines radiating out from it 360 degrees. I think that's sunlight

A symbol that looks like a shack (What does the shack mean?)

A symbol that looks a little bit like a duck sitting on the water

A symbol that looks like a round light bulb (so I'm guessing it's a normal light bulb)

A symbol that looks like a long rectangle going sideways with lines radiating out from the rectangle. I think it a florescent bulb symbol

A lightening bolt with an arrow. (I think this means I'm using a flash)

The last symbol is custom white balance (it looks a little like a bow tie)

Can you confirm my interpretation of the symbols?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 1:04 PM   #4

Assuming your camera has an LCD back view sceen, when you look through that and select the different settings (icons) such as you described will show you how the color shifts. One of those icons means shade. But the rest of them are as you described them. They are universal 'common sense' icons.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 2:23 PM   #5

FaithfulPastor wrote:
Quote:
Okay Canon users, I sure could use your help. I'm reading my manual and I'm not sure what the white balance symbols mean.

I've got AWB - That either Auto White Balance or Average White Band

a dot with lines radiating out from it 360 degrees. I think that's sunlight

A symbol that looks like a shack (What does the shack mean?)

A symbol that looks a little bit like a duck sitting on the water

A symbol that looks like a round light bulb (so I'm guessing it's a normal light bulb)

A symbol that looks like a long rectangle going sideways with lines radiating out from the rectangle. I think it a florescent bulb symbol

A lightening bolt with an arrow. (I think this means I'm using a flash)

The last symbol is custom white balance (it looks a little like a bow tie)

Can you confirm my interpretation of the symbols?
Hi Faithful Pastor

I had to laugh a bit at your descriptions... you did a good job though in getting the message across!

From my knowledge, your guesses are correct (Auto white balance, sunlight, normal bulb, flourescent, flash and custom).

The "shack" would be "shade" (you probably see a line like a shadow indication on one side of the shack.

The "duck on water"... not sure about this, but maybe could it be interpretted to be a cloud (or a sun partly hidden by cloud)? If so, this might be "cloudy"... slightly different to shade. (at least on my DSLR, this is what is available as white balance settings!)

I'll have another think about it, and if I come up with anything more, I'll let you know.

regards, and a blessed Christmas

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:09 AM   #6

boy, do I feel stupid...

White Balance is easy!!

My job:

A: determine the light source

B: Hit the WB button and tell my camera what the light source is

C: Shoot the dang picture.

It just makes sense.

May I now get off the train toDorkville?