Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:09 PM   #11

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
I guess you used the same process of live view focus with the K20D? I never could get even a reasonable shot pre live view and then being able to use 10x zoom on that. I think I will have to output live at some point to a monitor/tv to see how things look and for a bit of fun :-).

I'm tempted to get out and add a 1.4x TC into the mix to give 1680mm a try . It is at times like this that I wish I had a 50D as the extra mp as well as a 1.6 rather than 1.3 crop would be great. Using a 1.6x crop on a 1680mm lens is a 35mm equiv of 2688mm, how cool is that???? LOL.
Actually, I focused through the viewfinder. I just haven't had much success with liveview...probably because I haven't taken the time to get used to it. Taking my glasses outside when I shoot might also help :-) (I've got the diopter adjusted for the viewfinder to compensate for my old eyes.)

2688mm equivalent does sound good, lol.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:24 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Hi Paul,

I tried tonight with the extra 1.4x TC but there was a thin cloud covering so I didn't get any good results. Also it could be that having two 2x TC's and a 1.4x TC is simply beating what the lens can produce as it is only using a small amount of the centre of the lens. I will give it another try and tomorrow is looking to be clear (only problem with that is that it will be even colder LOL).

If they are better I will post something.

Anyone else shooting the moon at the moment?

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:44 PM   #13

I'm not trying at the moment - maybe in a couple of days or so. My tripod isn't sturdy enough of something because no matter what I do, most of the time the moon looks very blurry, especially in the dark. The only moon shot I've ever managed that was half-way OK was taken mid-morning.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:37 PM   #14

We had a sensational moon tonight, so I decided to see if I could get even closer by stacking the 1.4X and 2.0X Sigma TC's with the Bigma. First shot is full-frame with no crop (resize for forum). ISO 1000, f/10 (+the 3 stop loss with the TC's), 1/320 shutter. Pentax K20d body. Post-processing, slight sharpening & levels, BW conversion with green filter in PSP X2.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:38 PM   #15

100% crop of same image

Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:39 PM   #16

Another 100% crop from another part of the same image

Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:47 PM   #17
Super Moderator

mtngal, I really like that shot!! How did you get it?

Paul, it looks like someone has been having fun. I wish I had the Sigma 800mm (well actually the 300-800mm f5.6) as this is a great starting point for playing this game :roll:

I was planning to get out tonight as the moon was looking great with no cloud and it was above 0 degrees for a change but didn't.

Any more for any more??
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:54 PM   #18

LOL, Mark. I was having fun, and with 60 degrees here today, it was a night I could play around some. With the two TC's, I was out to 1400mm and an effective 2100mm with the 1.5 crop factor with the Pentax.

I tried your technique of shooting with live view, but with no success at all. The other problem I had was that my tripod head wouldn't hold that much weight solid in the vertical plane, so I had to support the vertical handheld. Had I been able to let it go and use the remote release, I think I could have been a little sharper.

Paul
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:55 PM   #19

Harriet, the timing on your shot is fantastic. I really like the quality of DOF being able to keep the Southwest airliner in decent focus.

Paul
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:26 AM   #20

All these shots are great

MtnGal, Your shot with the SWA plane is great. I used to work for SWA in Nashville, one night while working on the ramp there was a beautiful big full moon and a plane flew right through the bottom third so the plane and con-trail was silhouetted there. Sure wish I could have had my camera for that one:?

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote