Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:37 PM   #21

I'm glad you started this thread - I tried this morning before we left for work (4AM) to get a couple of shots - haven't seen them on a monitor yet. I was using a new lens I got yesterday, a big zoom range one, so I would guess it wouldn't be as good as the Southwest Airlines shot.

That shot was taken (as I recall - I took it Dec. 2006) around mid-morning. I was hiking up in the mountains around Lieber Mountain, probably around 7,000 feet elevation, a day when it was crystal clear. I would guess the plane was out of Burbank Airport and climbing over the mountains north of Los Angeles. I was using a Pentax K10 and an A*300 lens (no TC)- just aimed for the plane and had the focus at infinity (it's a manual focus lens) and pushed the shutter. The picture is almost 100% crop, it was resized down a bit and added some sharpening.

I've not had half as good luck using the same lens after dark. I've tried with and without tripod, slow (uck!)and fast shutter speeds, various ISOs, and I just can't get as good detail.

Paul - your pictures are really impressive!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:54 PM   #22

Wow, great pictures!

I somehow don't get such great photos but then I don't own a real good tele lens, maybe that's why. With the full moon today I tried a somewhat funny and somewhat scary thing: I mounted a 500mm/f8 Beroflex lens and 2 stacked 2x TC's on my Pentax DL2 camera and pushed my luck. The moon was too big to fit on one single image, so I took several photos and stitched two of them together. Since my tripod couldn't handle that heavy construction Iplaced the camera (or better to say the lens) on some books and hand-held otherwise. f-stop was something between f/16..f/22, ISO800, 1/80s.

I postprocessed the image, but it doesn't really look good if you ask me... althugh there is quite some detail in it. Maybe I really streched things too far.

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:44 PM   #23

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
I postprocessed the image, but it doesn't really look good if you ask me... althugh there is quite some detail in it. Maybe I really streched things too far.
I don't agree. I think it came out very well. Outstanding detail!

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:10 AM   #24

Thkn, I agree with Paul, nice detail

We just received a late Christmas present a couple of days ago. It's a Kenko 1.5X Teleconverter. After going out and using it a few times, I really like it. I use it with the Canon 30D and the 100-400 4.5-5.6L lens. One main difference with this is the AF will work on slower lenses, but does not register in the EXIF data.The focus can be slow to, or not be able to lock in low light/contrast conditions. The detail seems very sharp.

Here is the moon from last night. It was a bit hazy so the sharpnessis not as crisp, but I think it came out well. Minor levels and B/W conversion and crop to size.

Mugmar

Attached Images

Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:46 AM   #25

Great shot Mark! Here'sare mylatest moon shots which I took backin Oct. Both shots were taken on a tripod,manual mode, mirror lock up, remove switch and auto focus.

Thanks for looking!

Chris

Canon 1D MK II

Canon 300mm f/4 IS

f/8

1/500 sec

100 ISO

100% crop

Canon 1D MK II

Canon 300mm f/4 IS

f/8

1/4 sec

100 ISO

cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:39 PM   #26

Awww /blush thank you... maybe I looked way too often here --> http://www.skytrip.de/mond.htmand YES, I know that this some complete different approach and yadda yadda :?

my images look so... hm... soft, blurred, see? On the other hand this might be caused by atmospheric phenomenons... I don't know.

Maybe it's a limitation from my system (DL2, 6mp, Beroflex "lucky bag" + two stacked 2xTC's) or whatever... I'll try again today and will see what I get.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:24 PM   #27

Ok, here's a little comparison: the shot from yesterday on the left side, the one from today on the right. Same camera/lens setup: Pentax *ist DL2 (6mp), Beroflex 500/8, Viv 2x Macro TC + Makinon 2x TC, which gives a total focal length in 35mm terms of 500*2*2*1,5=3000mm :G

I stayed at ISO200 today, f/22 and 1/6s. Placed camera on a bunch of towels, carefully adjusted it and clicked away with 2s timer (the one to pre-release the mirror).Pictures taken in RAW, processed with Raw Therapee, then stitched the upper and lower shot together. Postprocessing in PL32 and Image Analyzer: denoise and details separately in R, G and B channel, b&w conversion, deconvolution and detail enhancement. Resized for forum use.

I think it won't really get much better. I can't use crops as they are way too soft from that lens, especially combined with a TC. I'll try for crop shots another day, maybe... I guess it were the lunar craters I was looking for in the image from yesterday, otherwise it really doesn't look that bad, thanks again for cheering me up. The whole process kept me busy for this evening, but it's for sure better than watching TV .

Let's see if we can take some nice pictures of the decrescent moo, too!

Kind regards,
Th.
Attached Images

Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:27 PM   #28

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Ok, here's a little comparison: the shot from yesterday on the left side, the one from today on the right. Same camera/lens setup: Pentax *ist DL2 (6mp), Beroflex 500/8, Viv 2x Macro TC + Makinon 2x TC, which gives a total focal length in 35mm terms of 500*2*2*1,5=3000mm :G

I stayed at ISO200 today, f/22 and 1/6s. Placed camera on a bunch of towels, carefully adjusted it and clicked away with 2s timer (the one to pre-release the mirror).Pictures taken in RAW, processed with Raw Therapee, then stitched the upper and lower shot together. Postprocessing in PL32 and Image Analyzer: denoise and details separately in R, G and B channel, b&w conversion, deconvolution and detail enhancement. Resized for forum use.

I think it won't really get much better. I can't use crops as they are way too soft from that lens, especially combined with a TC. I'll try for crop shots another day, maybe... I guess it were the lunar craters I was looking for in the image from yesterday, otherwise it really doesn't look that bad, thanks again for cheering me up. The whole process kept me busy for this evening, but it's for sure better than watching TV .

Let's see if we can take some nice pictures of the decrescent moo, too!

Kind regards,
Th.
They look great to me Th!
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 5:22 PM   #29

Now what to do with the moon shots once they are on your harddisk? One possible answer to this question can be seen here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=55- be my guest and have fun!

Regards,

Th.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:14 PM   #30

I finally got a reasonable after dark (well, before dawn) moon picture. It was taken this morning before 6 am with a 300 mm lens (I envy all of you who have longer lenses!) so this is a 100% crop - no resizing.

I did adjust the levels, though it's still probably a bit dark as my monitor tends to be brighter than it probably should be and I sometimes have a hard time judging things. It was hand-held at 1/400 sec shutter speed, fast enough to hand-hold with or without SR.

I used f8 - does aperture really matter when shooting the moon? I figured as long as I chose an aperture where the lens was pretty sharp it wouldn't matter much. I used manual settings as I wanted the shot underexposed, and I've had trouble with exposure even using spot metering.

Manual focus - the lens is an older manual focus lens.

I didn't like my regular smart sharpen/USM settings so I used a high pass filter layer for sharpening. It didn't need very much.

It's not perfect by any means, but I think it's the best I can do with this particular 300mm lens.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote