Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 10, 2009, 1:10 PM   #1

Ok my first time posting some pictures so be gentleI had a visitor last night, a Flying Squirrel, so it gave me an opportunity to use the new Flash. Let me know what you think of these shots and maybe if they can be imporved. The first shot is un-editted, the next 2 red-eye "fix" and cropped. The last pic is a question of can it be fixed? Getting he/sheright at the moment he/she leaped was incredible but saddly blurry.Also, I know all the questions (sorry), The lense I used is a Promaster 70-300 and the"purplehaze" I get from it is terrible. Is that because of the lense?First Pic is at 300mm, F5.6, iso-200, Camera Samsung GX-1L. Thanks everyone.

Attached Images

h7edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2009, 1:11 PM   #2

Sencond-Red Eye Fix
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2009, 1:14 PM   #3

3rd Red Eye and cropped
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2009, 1:17 PM   #4

This si the shot I am asking if it can be fixed. Hard to tell since I re-sized the picture but its a tiny bit out of focus, lighting not so good, you can see some of the "purple haze" in these shots, so on...
Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:29 AM   #5

Not sure if this is what you had in mind.. I adjusted the levels some, removed the squirrel's red-eye, and applied some USM.

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:46 AM   #6

I rather like the pictures, especially the one where you fixed the red-eye.

I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say "purple haze" - are you referring to what's usually called purple fringing? It's a line of purple that you can sometimes see at high contrast edges - where one side of the edge is very light and the other is very dark (say, the white belly of the squirrel). If so, that's greatly influenced by the lens. Getting a lens that has special coatings specifically designed for digital cameras (sensors are more sensitive to fringing than film is).

The last one doesn't particularly look blurry with it reduced to this size, so I can't really tell if your focus was a tad off or if the blurriness is due to camera shake. It could be that the lens is soft at whatever settings you were using.

I don't have the Promaster lens but I've read elsewhere that they usually sell someone else's lens with their name on it (that's done quite often). I have a vague memory that someone said they thought the Promaster 70-300 was a rebadged Tamron but have no idea if they knew for sure (or if I remember correctly). If so, then the purple fringing wouldn't be a surprise - most people I know who have the lens comment about that being the one weakness for an otherwise good (and relatively inexpensive) lens.

Sometimes sharpening can help with softness. I've read about software that can help with focus, though I've never tried. One photoshop trick that might help with a soft picture (it doesn't work with all pictures) is to copy the picture to a new layer, then use an emboss filter on the second layer - it will look grey with the edges looking like they are popping out at you. Then change the blending mode of the layer to either hard light, soft light or overlay (they all do slightly different things and I don't really understand what they do).

One way of dealing with the purple fringing is to simply lower the saturation of the color purple.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:55 AM   #7

Hi mtngal,

Yes purple fringing. I tried a UV filter and that didn't help at all. It seems no matter what I do its always present with that lense. I did find a "fix" in Photoshop by replacing or romoving the color but I wasn't sure if there was anything I could be doing to help stop it from happening. I just got my flash so it was a learning curve. Took about 20 pics or so to try and get the right angle, flash level, so on.... the picture with the squirrel leaping, lol as with most pictures for me, was dumb luck. Out of the 20 pictures I got 3 or 4 "good" ones which is pretty good considering the conditions all they needed was red eye repair and maybe a little cropping. There was no winning the red eye with the big light absorbing eye's the squirrel had.

Hawgwild,

Yes I see what you did and that does help. Everything is wrong with that pic. Lighting, shadows, and a little blurry. I had just moved to that spot (the squirrel was very friendly) to try and get a different angle when he/she leaped and I was doing a test shot. I was hoping to be able to crop that picture and adjust it a little but that is when the blurriness takes over. I know its hard to see with the resized photo. I think I am going to call it a loss and chalk it up to experience. Maybe the squirrel will come back and I get another chance:-).

Thank you both.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:39 PM   #8

UV filters won't help with purple fringing. I haven't found anything that helps, so I try to avoid high contrast situations or automatically plan on using software to get rid of it. The other way of dealing with it is to replace the lens with one that has better coatings, like the ones designed for digital cameras.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote