Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:02 AM   #21

Just one other theory, you mentioned you have to focus manually. How are you doing it, is the camera giving you a sign that you are in focus? If not, how are your eyes? I need glasses and have a really hard time to focus manually, or maybe your diopterat the viewfinder is set wrong.

Just a thought

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:30 PM   #22

Mugmar's questions are good ones & they remind me to ask tashanic another one - what lens aperture is your camera using when you're focusing it manually?

Accurate focus using a viewfinder screen can be very difficult when what you're seeing is displayed by a lens set to a small aperture.

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:25 PM   #23

Herb wrote:
Quote:
Mugmar's questions are good ones & they remind me to ask tashanic another one - what lens aperture is your camera using when you're focusing it manually?

Accurate focus using a viewfinder screen can be very difficult when what you're seeing is displayed by a lens set to a small aperture.

I'm not familiar with the D40 - but I understood that the only thing it wouldn't do with a modern lens is auto focus - exposure would work the same as with the D80 etc. Don't all dSLR camerasand modern lenses with matching mounts focus wide open, then stop down when you push the shutter all the way down? So it wouldn't matter what aperture the lens was set at, only how big the lens was capable of going? I know that's how the Pentax cameras work with anyK-mount lenses (not so with M42 screw-mount lenses) and I had always assumed that all dSLR cameras worked that way. If not, then I could see how focusing at f8 or f10 would be a real problem - the viewfinder would be so dark you wouldn't be able to see much.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote