Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 16, 2009, 2:40 PM   #1

I am a newbie when it come to digital photography, all I want is to get great pictures of my son but it seems no matter what I do I can't get a good sharp focus where the eyes look fantastic. Is it my light? My focus?? It just always comes out a little hazy... any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Edited to add link of bigger picture
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/DSC_9981.jpg
Attached Images

tashanic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:06 PM   #2

It would help if you posted a photo as large as possible and as rules allow. This is mighty small to make out any details.

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:13 PM   #3

Thanks, can I just use a link....

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/DSC_9981.jpg
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:59 PM   #4

The picture does look a bit soft. could you tell us what equipment and settings you are using? That will help to figure out how to improve things.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 5:02 PM   #5

I see by your EXIF data you used Shutter Priority. The fstop was 4.5 and your ISO was 1600. Do you remember what you set your shutter speed to? Id suggest using aperture priority and trying to get a faster shutter speed.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 5:22 PM   #6

I agree with Mugmar that the focus of photo looks a bit soft, but it's hard to assess what has caused it. You can sharpen the eyes - e.g. with Photoshop - by drawing an elipse to enclose each eye & then applying Unsharp Mask to each elipse. I did that, using Photoshop Elements 2 -

Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 5:47 PM   #7

Hi Herb. I think if you reread tashanics original post he has a general focus/blur problem. Your fix is ok but doesnt address his problem. He used shutter priority and that shutter speed may have been too slow and camera hand held, causing a motion blur. A faster shutter speed should correct this. To do this you have to open your shutter more (use a smaller fstop number) or, as a last resort use a higher ISO number. Increasing the ISO will give you additional noise in your photos. Check this out for clearer explanation.
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...-priority.html
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:06 PM   #8

ok, thank you. I will definitely read that for more info. I am never clear on whether I should use shutter or aperture, is there a general rule for certain situations?

Thank you for the tip on Photoshop as well, I have Elements so I will definitely try your trick if nothing else for a quick fix for the eyes specifically. My pictures seem to be so hazy/blurry all the time so I will try to do some work with shutter speed.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to look at them though!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:10 PM   #9

OOPS - something seems to have gone wrong - my version with the supposed sharpening of the eyes seems to be identical to the original.

I've tried again, using the technique I described. Here, hopefully, is a version that IS sharpened -

Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:54 PM   #10

Looks to me as though you ran out of light. At 1600 ISO, and 1/100 sec, and f/4.5, you were "maxxed out" and there is nothing short of using flash or a tripod that would have given you sharp results. As a general rule, your shutter speed should equal 1/focal length used. In your picture, the effective focal length used was 183mm, which would require a 1/183 sec shutter speed just to be on the safe side.

That is just my opinion, Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote