Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:00 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm curious as to which of the following two shots works better (and also why). I've not cropped either of them from the original; so thoughts on cropping as well as whether my daughter should be in the shot most welcome.

I've learnt a lot from these forums, so thanks everyone for the learning to date!

Cheers,
Paul
Attached Images

Liegroupoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:00 PM   #2

Here's the second shot...
Attached Images

Old Jan 18, 2009, 8:19 AM   #3

Between the two shots I like the second one better. I like seeing both the real and the shadow. Looks like a race. As for both shots though I dont like either. They are both too cluttered with the chairs. The table and chair against the right side is enough. The one sticking outing out in the middle of the picture makes me think....what the hell were you thinking. And then there is also the other top of the chair. Maybe you were shooting the furniture and your daughter just got in the way. So which is the focus on, your daughter, her shadow or the furniture?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 1:00 PM   #4

I am afraid I have to agree. A more interesting photo would have been just the wall with the shadow, I think.
jimwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:49 AM   #5

Originally, I was just going to shoot the wall and furniture, but then she started tearing around (as 5 year-olds are wont to do). Your comments on the clutter are a fair call; I've done a Q&D crop (attached) which I think addresses the clutter issue. Fundamentally, it was one of those times when you are going for subject A, subject B interacts, and the point of the image gets a little lost, perhaps.
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:08 AM   #6

Thats a lot better. Now I see 2 problems -- the shadow running down your daughter's back and the shadow on the wall that looks out of place and absolutely not needed. Remove those and you have a pretty good shot.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 3:48 AM   #7

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
...2 problems -- the shadow running down your daughter's back and the shadow on the wall that looks out of place...
I don'tmind the shadow on her back, but obviously the bottom right stick shadow has to go. To complete a really lovely picture, I'd then suggest some very delicate cloning out of the grey bars on the left,using a tone & texture either from between the bars, to leave her hair still distinct, or some more yellow wall.

I'd try it, but it'd take me hours. I'd call it "Catching my shadow".

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:17 PM   #8

Your getting there. Some photoshop or like program could fix it up a bit more but I like the concept. Good Show.
jimwho is offline   Reply With Quote