Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:32 PM   #1

Hello all,

I've been trying to learn how to do HDR photos for an upcoming trip the to the BVI's Here is one that I took this weekend during a moderate snow. I'm disappointed because I couldn't keep the snow of the lenses so I got a dark spot in the image. But other then that what do you think.

http://www.jasonalexander.us/wp-cont...s-icy-grip.png

Thanks
Jason

jalexand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:23 AM   #2

Very good and atmospheric!

Please could we see the best-exposed of the single images, so we can see what we might have got without HDR?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:56 PM   #3

I kinda like it. But....

I think that it might do better as a B&W.

Also, you can clean up the few dark spots with a clone tool or a "healing" tool.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:18 AM   #4

I quite liked the composition and the complementary atmospheric look as stated above. I also find it's a breeze to disappear the dark spots using the clone tool.

Still, I think so as to benefit the3Drendering of the hdr, you might make use of some selective sharpening (for the edifices)with varying large 'radius' say over 70 and little 'amount' about %15to berepeated again when necessary, of course,while trying not to upset the mood there ( for which youmighteven add a 'sfumato' (smoky in english) effect going overthe edgeswith the blur tool).
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:28 AM   #5

Well...speaking of not upsetting the mood, here's my sketchy version in which I intended to display thesimple suggestionI wrote above, just out of my appreciation of the original : )
Attached Images

Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:20 PM   #6

Bahadir,

Wow that makes a big improvement. Thank you very much for the input.

The healing tool. Is that something in photoshop or in photomatrix.

I just got back from holiday and I took about 1200 or so pictures. I've got some base material for more HDR shots. I'll have to see what I got.

Jason

Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:01 PM   #7

Jason -

Your mention of HDR got my immediate attention because I saw an HDR made by Bahadir a few days ago and it got me really interested. As a result I downloaded the basic version of Photomatix as a starting point. I think HDR is fascinating.

Your picture appeals to me very much. I fiddled with it a bit - by sharpening it with Unsharp Mask, reducing the noise in the sky with Neat Image, disguising the spot that you mention using Photoshop Elements, and then trying to make the sky a bit more artifact-free by applying some blur to it and in the end reducing the size of the picture.

Here's the result -

Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 1:07 AM   #8

jalexand wrote:
Quote:
Bahadir,

Wow that makes a big improvement. Thank you very much for the input.

The healing tool. Is that something in photoshop or in photomatrix.

I just got back from holiday and I took about 1200 or so pictures. I've got some base material for more HDR shots. I'll have to see what I got.

Jason

Glad to hear it's worked for you, Jason! I sometimes liken editing to discourse analysis. Astrong standpointin the material is a must, which seems to haveappealed to Herbalso : ) Anyway, HDR is really so addictive as it is oftenclaimed...and I bet you'll attainmany moreoutputs out of your generous stock of 1200 images! Hope we'll see ; )

As for your question; they're Photoshop tools both of which you'lleasily find in the toolbox standing on the lefthandside. Here's also a short article featuring their differece in use: http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=99806

Old Feb 5, 2009, 3:45 AM   #9

I saw your post and did this before I read further down to see the great attempts already made. Oh well here is mine anyway.

Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:34 AM   #10

Thank you very much for the link. I'll take a look at it sometime here in the next couple of days. I'll be sure and post some of the other HDR photos when I get some time to process them.

Jason