Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:55 PM   #1

Hello,

Long time lurker first time poster.

Meadow turns 2.

Shot with a Canon XSI 50mm 1.8 II lens.

Can't recall the exact EXIF. Shot in Av mode f/1.8 I think. AWB auto which looked horrible. Set it to tungsten post processing. Also shot with 1600 ISO. It made the photo look really grainy. I shot with such a high IS0 to get the shutter speed at least 1/60. The back ground is also dark. I had the lights on in the room also.

Is there a way to get a higher f/stop for more DOF without slowing the shutter speed and not using flash?

Thanks
Attached Images

fosterchild56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:14 PM   #2

"Is there a way to get a higher f/stop for more DOF without slowing the shutter speed and not using flash?"

First of all, great shot of a very cute Meadow!

To answer your question, the short answer is no, unless you have a higher ISO setting available.

If you can get her to sit still for a little longer, you could use a tripod and a slower shutter speed, which may distort the candle flame a little, but maybe not too much. Maybe more ambient light would allow you to do what you wish, but if you are maxxed out with ISO and aperture, then the only solution is longer shutter speed and/or more ambient light.

I think the shot is awesome, but I think you would like the candle in focus, right? You might even try backing away from the subject(s) and cropping the final result. Experiment and see what works...

Robert

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:04 PM   #3

I too liked the picture with theshallow DOFemphasizing the subject

You might like to select the face for sharpening a little though.I should alsosaythat's a veryattractivelens you have for portraits at low light! Btw, below is the Exifdisplaying an isoof 320, which isnot likely to causea grainy look !
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 7:31 PM   #4

I was sure when I looked at the camera setting for that shot it was at ISO 1600. Bonus! I looked over the batch of pictures and 99% were 1600...unusable. I am glad this one snuck in there.

Thanks
fosterchild56 is offline   Reply With Quote