Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:38 PM   #1

Having installed both softwares in my new lap top capable ofrunning the Vista swiftly, I wanted to share my initial comperative 'hands on' impression! Actually, judging from the outputsI saw no discernable difference, except the PTGui completed the job surprisingly fast! Btw, here I should thank my good friend Hercules for introducing the PTGui ; )

Stitchworksbelow, which benefited from an identicalfinish up at the PS,comprise three hdr photos, each of whichwas, again,made of threeseperate pictures exposed 2ev apart. Hey, imo, for some of you itis nort difficult to guesswhere the pictures were taken from:-)

The CS4

The PTGui

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:49 AM   #2

Nice shots Bahadir. The two are the same size yet the one at the top shows slightly more image. Did the software cause this or was it your cropping?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:10 AM   #3

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots Bahadir. The two are the same size yet the one at the top shows slightly more image. Did the software cause this or was it your cropping?
Thanks my friend! Iwas almostthinking of addingmy requestof feedbacktonext year's wish list : )

I think the differenceyou've mentioned was -mainly- causedby my cropping since I did not bother to use clonning tool to fill in the gaps due to the panaromic look, but cropped off right away theprojecting areas.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:47 AM   #4

Nice comparison my friend,, i also think that the CS4 pano has a better color to it, PS has a pretty killer panorama ah yes they were takin right off your balcony arkadas
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:05 AM   #5

Here is one that was done in CS4 and then PTGui and as you can see CS4 is way superior in fact other stitch softwares that i used didn't come close to PS either CS4 PTGui
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:59 AM   #6

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Nice comparison my friend,, i also think that the CS4 pano has a better color to it, PS has a pretty killer panorama ah yes they were takin right off your balcony arkadas
That's correct arkadaş! I'm sure, with this picture in your hand,you can easily find my homewithout any description when youpay a visit to İzmir : )

As for the colour, Ithought itmight have been be due to the PS make up though I hadtried totreat them equally, but it is also observable in your comparison however slightly.

Ishould point out that your comparisonalsoshowssome obvious flaws on the side of the PTGui!In my captures there was also a moving truck but it didn't show such a ghost effect in the output.The PTGui requires a considerable amount of informationregarding the lens and make of the camera, about whichyou should make sure you've allowed, though. Actually it was my first and only output from the PTGui, and if I receivesuch ghost effects I'llfree somesome extra Mb from my C drive uninstalling it without much hesitation ; ) Again thank you for your worthy contribution!

Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:17 AM   #7

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:
That's correct arkadaş! I'm sure, with this picture in your hand,you can easily find my homewithout any description when youpay a visit to İzmir : )

As for the colour, Ithought itmight have been be due to the PS make up though I hadtried totreat them equally, but it is also observable in your comparison however slightly.

Ishould point out that your comparisonalsoshowssome obvious flaws on the side of the PTGui!In my captures there was also a moving truck but it didn't show such a ghost effect in the output.The PTGui requires a considerable amount of informationregarding the lens and make of the camera, about whichyou should make sure you've allowed, though. Actually it was my first and only output from the PTGui, and if I receivesuch ghost effects I'llfree somesome extra Mb from my C drive uninstalling it without much hesitation ; ) Again thank you for your worthy contribution!

Yes actually when i pass the toll post just make a left turn up ahead:G and since i received the first ghost effect i have already free'd up my C drive, also on my comparison PTGui is more tilted to the right
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:59 AM   #8

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Yes actually when i pass the toll post just make a left turn up ahead:G and since i received the first ghost effect i have already free'd up my C drive, also on my comparison PTGui is more tilted to the right

I was about to do so...untillwhen I saw the PTGui accomplishedthe job with a bent horizon,whilethe photomerge tool of the CS4 ended in some broken horizontal lines!After allit takesless labour to correct a bent horizonby the PTGui using the warptoolin the CS4 in such a case Thus, I am more likely to keep the PTGui as a back upjust in case...

Btw, I was really disappointed to see the CS4 omitted the 'Interactive Layout' in the Photomerge tool, which I had enjoyed using in earlier Photoshop versions. However, I learned that you could download it as a plugin from the Adobe...Now I also have theInteractive Layout in my CS4Recommended ; )

Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:11 AM   #9

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:

I was about to do so...untillwhen I saw the PTGui accomplishedthe job with a bent horizon,whilethe photomerge tool of the CS4 ended in some broken horizontal lines!After allit takesless labour to correct a bent horizonby the PTGui using the warptoolin the CS4 in such a case Thus, I am more likely to keep the PTGui as a back upjust in case...

Btw, I was really disappointed to see the CS4 omitted the 'Interactive Layout' in the Photomerge tool, which I had enjoyed using in earlier Photoshop versions. However, I learned that you could download it as a plugin from the Adobe...Now I also have theInteractive Layout in my CS4Recommended ; )

I kind of think it depends on the picture, sometimes CS4 will do better and sometimes PTGui will,, now arkadas how about that Interactive layout plug in for CS4
Old Feb 9, 2009, 3:59 PM   #10

hercules wrote:
Quote:
,, now arkadas how about that Interactive layout plug in for CS4
...Itis waiting inyour mailbox, arkadaş : )