Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 7, 2009, 2:40 AM   #11

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the information,, i have the canon pixma iP4500 printer, well actually i am going to start shooting RAW because i think you have more control over your images, but in RAW it automatically is set to Adobe RGB 1998 when i want to print a image after i am done with PP how should i save it? or how do i find out if the ip4500 can print in Adobe RGB? also i ordered the SpyderPro 3 yesterday so i can calibrate my monitor

Whether your printer can handle the Adobe RGB colorspace is probably a question for Canon Tech/customer support. A web search didn't net me any real answer. I did come across these two posts from different sites, shown in part below:

"Canons complete lack of proper documentation to explain how to properly use this printer is annoyng. Does come with ICCprofiles what not but no real clue as to which to use ect.

From many hours searching net, reading pdfs ect many many wasted prints I've come to these settings it up for best printing;
Photoshop, use AdobeRGB1998 as colour space. in print dialogue make sure Adobe sets colours and set profile (below). Usually keep Relative colourmetric. Then click 'page setup' to get into the printer settup. Choose paper type, 'Print Quality' set to custom and select finest (smallest number). Now 'Colour/Intensity' to 'manual' and set that to 'None'
Should e good to go but as i say this isn't a very reliable printer to good prints.

PP-101 (yuk!) - profle PR2 - PhotoPaper Plus Glossy /maybe glossy II.
GL-401 (brighter) - I find works best on same profile but set paper to glossyphoto paper. Others suggest GL.
SG-101/201 (glorious when prints right) - profile either PR or SP. I prefer SP i think and set paper to Photopaper plus glossy again. Unless you magically now have a semi-gloss photo paper.
MP-101 - I can't say I've gotten anything presentable from any setting or profile though I read MP is recommended.
Have some PR101 but I don't dare waste it.

Sorry can't be more help. As I say I find it unreliable but these are the settings I've gotten best results from."

# 2:

"In fact I even read somewhere that canon themselves recommend setting colour management to COLOURSYNC when wanting to take full advantage of the ADOBE 1998 colour gamut. I wish I could remeber where! But it seems to me that low end printers with their low end generalised paper profiles can not cope with photoshop handling the colours - I really do not know - but something OTHER than colour management issue are at work here."

How should you save a RAW file for printing after you've run it through all your PP?

That's a good question -- and one that you'll hear a lot of argument about. If the photo didn't take much effort to "fix" the way you like it and you don't figure you'l be coming back and doing a lot more changes later, a JPEG saved at the highest quality setting might well be good enough. If you think you might make more than a few changes, TIFF might be a better choice since it's a lossless format.

If you put a lot of work into a shot, like using many layers and different masks and selections, you might think about saving an unflattened master copy as a PSD. That will retain all the layers, masks, selections, etc., so that it will be easy to go back and make changes later. To print though, you'll need to make either a JPEG or TIFF copy, as I don't think many -- if any -- printers can take a PSD file.

I think that you can choose a colorspace other than Adobe RBG if you want to when you output a RAW file from ACR. On my version of ACR, this is an option available in the "workflow options" area in the lower left of the ACR window.

Grant
Thanks, but when you shoot in RAW the default settings is Adobe RBG 1998, i have also read the settings for the printer but i have also read that it is best to set the Rendering Intent to Perceptual
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:29 PM   #12

Congrats on your new printer, my friend, about whichyouhadhadsome correspondence: )As you know Ihave been using the ip 4500 for some while andwasted lots of ink and paper for the sake of the magic setting! Clicking on the link, you may also witness myadobeRGBexcitement about this time last year:-): http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80 I should also point out that both images you posted above are in sRGB colour space. TheaRGB wouldlook noticeablyduller on most browsers than it looks on your monitor, since (including the Internet Explorer)they don't support the aRGB!! Below is a side by side comparison how it looks on your monitor and on the Internet Explorer I managed to display using the screencapture!

I should agree with Grant on this printerbeingnot very reliable if you're being pricky like me!! But again avery good printer rendering sharp and punchy images every time with relatively economic running cost (at least compared to my earlier epson r300; economywise!)

Now, Iopen the image inPhotoshop for printing,using thesRGB converted from the Raw, which is quite close tothe aRGB output (and sometimes even more reliable than a straight Jpeg shot in aRGB!), which is good both printing and displaying online. I let the Photoshop manage colours, chose relative colorimetric, tick black point compensation, and then click the page set up to see the pop up menu so as to set the colour management to manual and then to none.

Anyway, tomorrow evening, after buying the backcartridge thatfinished the day before,Iwilltrysavingan aRGBimagewith the the printer's destinationprofileon the edit menu of the PS, and then turn off the colour management on the printing preview menu to see it will do any better!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:11 PM   #13

bahadir wrote:
Quote:

Congrats on your new printer, my friend, about whichyouhadhadsome correspondence: )As you know Ihave been using the ip 4500 for some while andwasted lots of ink and paper for the sake of the magic setting! Clicking on the link, you may also witness myadobeRGBexcitement about this time last year:-): http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80 I should also point out that both images you posted above are in sRGB colour space. TheaRGB wouldlook noticeablyduller on most browsers than it looks on your monitor, since (including the Internet Explorer)they don't support the aRGB!! Below is a side by side comparison how it looks on your monitor and on the Internet Explorer I managed to display using the screencapture!

I should agree with Grant on this printerbeingnot very reliable if you're being pricky like me!! But again avery good printer rendering sharp and punchy images every time with relatively economic running cost (at least compared to my earlier epson r300; economywise!)

Now, Iopen the image inPhotoshop for printing,using thesRGB converted from the Raw, which is quite close tothe aRGB output (and sometimes even more reliable than a straight Jpeg shot in aRGB!), which is good both printing and displaying online. I let the Photoshop manage colours, chose relative colorimetric, tick black point compensation, and then click the page set up to see the pop up menu so as to set the colour management to manual and then to none.

Anyway, tomorrow evening, after buying the backcartridge thatfinished the day before,Iwilltrysavingan aRGBimagewith the the printer's destinationprofileon the edit menu of the PS, and then turn off the colour management on the printing preview menu to see it will do any better!
Thank you my friend i will check your post above out tomorrow but the pictures above 1 is srgb and the bottom one is Adobe RGB converted to sRGB in PS i didn't want to post it because i also saw it was to dull, as of a few days ago i only shoot RAW now as a few tests that i did the pictures look better and especially after you PP, but i think since shooting RAW since RAW is by default Adobe RGB, also on the printer settings you state i use those but what about printer profile right above rendering intent? set that to the paper your using? also i am really enjoying the iP4500 i think it is a great printer and agree gives very sharp and puncy images, but need to find which setting will print the best, also i believe that would go for any printer.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:15 AM   #14

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Thank you my friend i will check your post above out tomorrow but the pictures above 1 is srgb and the bottom one is Adobe RGB converted to sRGB in PS i didn't want to post it because i also saw it was to dull, as of a few days ago i only shoot RAW now as a few tests that i did the pictures look better and especially after you PP, but i think since shooting RAW since RAW is by default Adobe RGB, also on the printer settings you state i use those but what about printer profile right above rendering intent? set that to the paper your using? also i am really enjoying the iP4500 i think it is a great printer and agree gives very sharp and puncy images, but need to find which setting will print the best, also i believe that would go for any printer.
Certainlythatexplains why they are both in sRGB,...and perhaps the sky on the bottomlooks a bit 'fried' to me:-)In fact, when I opened both images in the PS and clonned some sky from the 'sRGB' file on the'Adobe'file (or theaRGB conversion into sRGB) I found the sky on the'Adobe' noticeablyduller!

As for shooting RAW, actually your cameracaptures a considerably larger colour space than the Adobe RGB, an option of which isalso presentedforRAW conversions,you must have seen in the 'workflow options box': ProtoPhoto RGB.Most of us aren't likely tobenefit from this option, though,thanks to the display limitations! Anyway, I find converting into the target colourspace from raw more efficient than'internal' conversions.

My printer profile settingwasset to Canon ip4500 series GL3 (or SPaccording to the quality of theglossy photo paper I'm using.)ButONE MINUTE!!:GI've just tried the setting below (while enabling the ICM in the manual colour/density box)even with the finished ink! and it worked fine. Will give another try tonight : )
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:29 AM   #15

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:
Certainlythatexplains why they are both in sRGB,...and perhaps the sky on the bottomlooks a bit 'fried' to me:-)In fact, when I opened both images in the PS and clonned some sky from the 'sRGB' file on the'Adobe'file (or theaRGB conversion into sRGB) I found the sky on the'Adobe' noticeablyduller!

As for shooting RAW, actually your cameracaptures a considerably larger colour space than the Adobe RGB, an option of which isalso presentedforRAW conversions,you must have seen in the 'workflow options box': ProtoPhoto RGB.Most of us aren't likely tobenefit from this option, though,thanks to the display limitations! Anyway, I find converting into the target colourspace from raw more efficient than'internal' conversions.

My printer profile settingwasset to Canon ip4500 series GL3 (or SPaccording to the quality of theglossy photo paper I'm using.)ButONE MINUTE!!:GI've just tried the setting below (while enabling the ICM in the manual colour/density box)even with the finished ink! and it worked fine. Will give another try tonight
I also tried last night a couple prints i had color handling on photoshop manages color, and in printer profile i selected Adobe RGB 1998 as it turned out a little nicer than setting the printer profile to SP2