Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 5, 2009, 5:39 PM   #1

Ok this was just a test so i could see what the difference was, now these are right out of the camera and the Adobe RGB look better in the color department, but after printing it on my Canon iP4500 the colors didn't look right was i supposed to convert to sRGB like i did here to post,, in photoshop CS4 i chose let PS manages color and i made sure i disabled color management in the printer dialog box, any help thanks sRGB

Adobe RGB

hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:26 PM   #2

hercules, is your printer capable of printing the Adobe RGB gamut? Not all printers can. If yours can't, then converting to sRGB in PS before printing would be good. Or, you might get better results just letting the printer handle the color managment. Try it both ways and see if one way is better.

If the colors don't look right, and the printer is capable of reproducing aRGB, do you have your monitor calibrated, a color managed set up between your printer and monitor and a good profile for the paper/ink combination that you are using?

If any of those things are lacking, there will be inaccuracy between what you see on your screen and what comes out of the printer.

Keep in mind, also, that many colors look far more vibrant on a monitor (a transmissive medium) than they do on paper (a reflective medium).

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3

granthagen wrote:
Quote:
hercules, is your printer capable of printing the Adobe RGB gamut? Not all printers can. If yours can't, then converting to sRGB in PS before printing would be good. Or, you might get better results just letting the printer handle the color managment. Try it both ways and see if one way is better.

If the colors don't look right, and the printer is capable of reproducing aRGB, do you have your monitor calibrated, a color managed set up between your printer and monitor and a good profile for the paper/ink combination that you are using?

If any of those things are lacking, there will be inaccuracy between what you see on your screen and what comes out of the printer.

Keep in mind, also, that many colors look far more vibrant on a monitor (a transmissive medium) than they do on paper (a reflective medium).

Grant
Thanks for the information,, i have the canon pixma iP4500 printer, well actually i am going to start shooting RAW because i think you have more control over your images, but in RAW it automatically is set to Adobe RGB 1998 when i want to print a image after i am done with PP how should i save it? or how do i find out if the ip4500 can print in Adobe RGB? also i ordered the SpyderPro 3 yesterday so i can calibrate my monitor
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:40 PM   #4

You should search for an ICC Color Profile for your printer. If you install it, you will be able to print AdobeRGB without converting.

Likewise, if you install an ICC Color Profile for your monitor as well, then the colors should be closer to the printed output.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:27 PM   #5

TCav wrote:
Quote:
You should search for an ICC Color Profile for your printer. If you install it, you will be able to print AdobeRGB without converting.

Likewise, if you install an ICC Color Profile for your monitor as well, then the colors should be closer to the printed output.
Thanks ICC Color profile, is that like the paper being used or not? because in CS4 in print where it says printer profile i do have in there a bunch of ip4500 SP2 SP3, PR1 PR2 and so on.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 3:43 PM   #6

I just did a search to confirm what I was about to tell you, and I found this:

http://www.flixya.com/post/photoaid/...Color_profiles
Old Feb 6, 2009, 4:48 PM   #7

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I just did a search to confirm what I was about to tell you, and I found this:

http://www.flixya.com/post/photoaid/...Color_profiles
Thanks those are the profiles that are in my printer profile,, you know i just ordered photo paper pro gloss from here http://www.freephotopaper.com/inkjet_papers.htm because it is way cheaper and i have read that it's great photo paper, but for that what profile setting would i use?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:07 PM   #8

Typically, the profile is for the inks that the printer uses, and the paper the printer manufacturer sells. Different papers will be slightly different colors, and the coatings on the papers will react to the inksdifferently. Some paper retailers, like Red River Paperprovide color profiles for their papers and various printers. [See http://www.redrivercatalog.com/profi...-profiles.html] Unfortunately, FreePhotoPaper.com doesn't, so you'll need to figure that one out for yourself.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 2:12 AM   #9

Thanks for the information,, i have the canon pixma iP4500 printer, well actually i am going to start shooting RAW because i think you have more control over your images, but in RAW it automatically is set to Adobe RGB 1998 when i want to print a image after i am done with PP how should i save it? or how do i find out if the ip4500 can print in Adobe RGB? also i ordered the SpyderPro 3 yesterday so i can calibrate my monitor

Whether your printer can handle the Adobe RGB colorspace is probably a question for Canon Tech/customer support. A web search didn't net me any real answer. I did come across these two posts from different sites, shown in part below:

"Canons complete lack of proper documentation to explain how to properly use this printer is annoyng. Does come with ICCprofiles what not but no real clue as to which to use ect.

From many hours searching net, reading pdfs ect many many wasted prints I've come to these settings it up for best printing;
Photoshop, use AdobeRGB1998 as colour space. in print dialogue make sure Adobe sets colours and set profile (below). Usually keep Relative colourmetric. Then click 'page setup' to get into the printer settup. Choose paper type, 'Print Quality' set to custom and select finest (smallest number). Now 'Colour/Intensity' to 'manual' and set that to 'None'
Should e good to go but as i say this isn't a very reliable printer to good prints.

PP-101 (yuk!) - profle PR2 - PhotoPaper Plus Glossy /maybe glossy II.
GL-401 (brighter) - I find works best on same profile but set paper to glossyphoto paper. Others suggest GL.
SG-101/201 (glorious when prints right) - profile either PR or SP. I prefer SP i think and set paper to Photopaper plus glossy again. Unless you magically now have a semi-gloss photo paper.
MP-101 - I can't say I've gotten anything presentable from any setting or profile though I read MP is recommended.
Have some PR101 but I don't dare waste it.

Sorry can't be more help. As I say I find it unreliable but these are the settings I've gotten best results from."

# 2:

"In fact I even read somewhere that canon themselves recommend setting colour management to COLOURSYNC when wanting to take full advantage of the ADOBE 1998 colour gamut. I wish I could remeber where! But it seems to me that low end printers with their low end generalised paper profiles can not cope with photoshop handling the colours - I really do not know - but something OTHER than colour management issue are at work here."

How should you save a RAW file for printing after you've run it through all your PP?

That's a good question -- and one that you'll hear a lot of argument about. If the photo didn't take much effort to "fix" the way you like it and you don't figure you'l be coming back and doing a lot more changes later, a JPEG saved at the highest quality setting might well be good enough. If you think you might make more than a few changes, TIFF might be a better choice since it's a lossless format.

If you put a lot of work into a shot, like using many layers and different masks and selections, you might think about saving an unflattened master copy as a PSD. That will retain all the layers, masks, selections, etc., so that it will be easy to go back and make changes later. To print though, you'll need to make either a JPEG or TIFF copy, as I don't think many -- if any -- printers can take a PSD file.

I think that you can choose a colorspace other than Adobe RBG if you want to when you output a RAW file from ACR. On my version of ACR, this is an option available in the "workflow options" area in the lower left of the ACR window.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2009, 3:31 AM   #10

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Typically, the profile is for the inks that the printer uses, and the paper the printer manufacturer sells. Different papers will be slightly different colors, and the coatings on the papers will react to the inksdifferently. Some paper retailers, like Red River Paperprovide color profiles for their papers and various printers. [See http://www.redrivercatalog.com/profi...-profiles.html] Unfortunately, FreePhotoPaper.com doesn't, so you'll need to figure that one out for yourself.
Thanks for the link