Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:27 PM   #1

Hello all,

Well I'm back for some more advice. Personally I'm not very happy with the composition of this photo but I love the way the HDR colors came out. This shot is in St. Thomas on a recent vacation. I don't like the composition for the following reasons:

1. I cut off the peak in the top left of the shot
2. The stupid power pole looks worse in the photo then it did in real life. Sadly I couldn't move to a better location.
3. The reddish roofs seem to over power the blue water a bit.

So what do you think.
Attached Images

jalexand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:45 AM   #2

jalexand wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Well I'm back for some more advice. Personally I'm not very happy with the composition of this photo but I love the way the HDR colors came out. This shot is in St. Thomas on a recent vacation. I don't like the composition for the following reasons:

1. I cut off the peak in the top left of the shot
2. The stupid power pole looks worse in the photo then it did in real life. Sadly I couldn't move to a better location.
3. The reddish roofs seem to over power the blue water a bit.

So what do you think.
I actually liked the roofs descending to the seaside likecascades! Furthermore, the red tiles make a good contrasting element to the green hills, altogethes which makes aquite 'mediterranean despite the distance!!'complementary&contrastingpallet ofof blue, green and terra cotta

Still, I think the image can benefit from some pp at the PS, such as clonning out the pole you're speaking about (about which I find the the CS4 quite capable),applying a two step sharpening, and applying some lens blur on the nearer roofs so as to free the perception forward!You might like to apply a anti noise to the output to healsome resultingartifacts. As for 1st concern above; you may move your image on larger canvas @ the PS and do sth about the cut off peak using the clone tool again or you might even crop more! Below is a quick jobduring the 'afterbreakfast' coffee break : ) Hope it works..

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 8:51 AM   #3

Bahadir,

All I can say is wow. That edit really improves on the image. The removal of the pole makes all the difference in the photo. Now that it's gone I feel that my eyes are pulled by the roof line down to the water where the boats then pull in my attention. The green in the back then becomes a nice background.

As you can tell I'm still very new to digital photography. I am so used to having to get the initial composition right because of not have the options to fix it on the computer. It's truely amazing what you can do with the computer.

I'm going to have to make a trip to the book store and see if I can find some good books on the powers of photoshop. It seems I'm missing out on a whole other aspect of photography now.

Thank you for the edit.
Jason
Old Feb 14, 2009, 3:44 PM   #4

jalexand wrote:
Quote:
Bahadir,

All I can say is wow. That edit really improves on the image. The removal of the pole makes all the difference in the photo. Now that it's gone I feel that my eyes are pulled by the roof line down to the water where the boats then pull in my attention. The green in the back then becomes a nice background.

As you can tell I'm still very new to digital photography. I am so used to having to get the initial composition right because of not have the options to fix it on the computer. It's truely amazing what you can do with the computer.

I'm going to have to make a trip to the book store and see if I can find some good books on the powers of photoshop. It seems I'm missing out on a whole other aspect of photography now.

Thank you for the edit.
Jason
It's been delightfulconsidering the 'aesthetical object' you provided...

As for photography,for me,it takes a deep appreciation for beauty in the first place, and then trying to frame what it isyou're drawn in by, simply omitting the extras, I find the most enjoyableriddle of all! Applying hdr, you seem to have broken into the house from the roof like a parachuter, which requires no excuse, imo : ) After all, there will, still, be enough room to apply the basics to your outputs by yourself...

Anyway, I wish good wine andValentine to friends

Old Feb 14, 2009, 4:36 PM   #5

I was able to find a couple of books at the bookstore last night and have been playing all day. I'm starting over with this shot and hope to put something up that might be a better sample after some processing.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 8:56 PM   #6

my question is, why use HDR processing on this image at all? it doesn't seem to have the kind of tonal range that would need HDR... unless the original is VASTLY different from this one...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:38 AM   #7

I simply intend to contribute sharing some humble experience of mine in this regard. When I put my raw conversionsside by side, except shot in weathers when the skyacted like a softbox,I often findthe 'hdrmerged' ones revealing the finest graduations (even the shadows of shadows:-)!!) and therefore giving more three dimentional outputs and also 'adobe-like' brighter colours even in sRGB! Yesterday,I stithed a 5frame pano shotunder bright light first using the properly exposed raw conversions and really liked the result : ) but aftermerging the frames intended forthe hdr process and stitched them, the first panolooked suprisingly duller to me!

Cheers,

Bahadır