Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:39 AM   #1

What is uppermost in your mind whenyou're on the ferry with a camera onyour back to home?:-)Well Iliked including the silhouette of this lonely guy in my captureas I pointedmy camera to the scene. Would like to hearyour comments.

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2009, 7:42 AM   #2
Super Moderator

It's a fantastic exposure and a nice scene but the composition doesn't work for me.

Generally a 50/50 split for a horizon only works where something is reflected and in this sort of scene I would have gone for more sky over more sea. Also having the gull in the center feels uncomfortable so having that off to the side would fix this.

Oh and the horizon is off by just over half a degree
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:42 PM   #3

Thanks for your thoughts, Mark, which has been a pleasant surprise! The fantastic exposure is thanks to the hdr rendering, so I can own up the rest:-)

Actually, I wish I had found sth. decenton the ferryfor theforeground to enrich the composition...sinceI couldn't, I sufficedwith trying to attain some kind of balance with the cloud groups and the mountain range, and including, as much as I could, the nearby waves tosubstitude, somehow, themissing foreground, whichmightbe the reason of 50/50horizon, of which I am not often a fan (especially with a blank sky!) It's the gull which remains in its original place...one and half centimeters to the right top corner perhaps without intersectingor overlappingwiththe 'grave' clouds.

Cheers,

Bahadır
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:44 PM   #4

Hello bahadir

I agree mostly with Mark's comments. Indeed a fantastic exposure... you did well on the HDR... a very natural (and powerful) light portrayed.

I would also add that the (blurred) gull on the extreme right of the photo distracts me.

My take on it would be a possible crop (if you have enough resolution in the original)... something like this....
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:48 PM   #5

Here's a very quick / cheap resize in ACDSee... which doesn't do justice to the lovely colours and powerful scene potential... so would like to see you do this on the original cropped ideally...

Thanks for sharing. It's always good to see scenes from your lovely "neck of the woods".

Regards

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 3:31 PM   #6

Dear Paul, yours has been a really tasteful cropping suggestion, which inspired me to try the following in the light of the experience! Would like to knowhow itworks when comparedto the original. Actually I tend to be a bit lazy when it comes to my images :-)Surely that blurred gull on the extreme right border should have been clonned out right from the start!

Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2009, 9:56 AM   #7

I decided to take a stab at an edit.. I personally felt uncomfortable with the gull and agreed with Mark's suggestion about the crop - maybe I took it a bit far? I also increased the saturation a bit..

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:38 AM   #8

For my 2 cents I feel its definately a horizontal shot. The gull gives some life to the shot, giving it a moment in time, making it more than just a seascape. You have enough to choose between sky or sea dominance so the horizon can be either 1/3 from the top or 1/3 from the bottom. If anyone disagrees with me I blame my views on the pills Im taking.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:33 AM   #9

jschoenr wrote:
Quote:
I decided to take a stab at an edit.. I personally felt uncomfortable with the gull and agreed with Mark's suggestion about the crop - maybe I took it a bit far? I also increased the saturation a bit..
Thank you for the kind feedback and the trouble mate! Actually it emphasizes themoment'schillingfeeling of desolation and loneliness while still enjoying the vastness...without the company of a fellow gull. Btw,a final slight pass of Neat Image and then a high radius but little amount sharpening (32 to %4) would do on your edit imo.

.................................................. .........

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
For my 2 cents I feel its definately a horizontal shot. The gull gives some life to the shot, giving it a moment in time, making it more than just a seascape. You have enough to choose between sky or sea dominance so the horizon can be either 1/3 from the top or 1/3 from the bottom. If anyone disagrees with me I blame my views on the pills Im taking.
Your comment is like music to my ears dear Paul : ) Ah, whether or not it is visable, we all seem to have a gull within to release at suchdelicate moments, don't we...Btw, get well soon my friend!

Now, uponthankfully readingthe suggestionsso far,Idevised another version, which alsoaddress tomy concernofretainingthe nearer waves as some kind of foreground. Would be pleased to furtherread or see your suggestions..

Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:42 AM   #10

Now that last rendition Bahadir is absolutely perfect. Anyone disagreeing with me can blame that on the pills they are taking. hahahahaha
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote