Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:56 PM   #1

I had to run down to the marina early this morning. The sun was just beginning to have its effect on the heavens, but not yet on the nights fog, as it stillhung close to the waters surface.

Can you feel the damp chill?

Can you smell the pitch on the pilings?

Can you hear the distant foghorn?

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2009, 6:03 AM   #2

You make a good issue here, Eddie! 'Can you feel this picture'; the title alone reminded me an essay Tolstoy wrote, from which I selected the following words: ''To evoke in oneself a feeling one has once experienced, and having evoked it in oneself, then, by means of movements, lines, colors, sounds, or forms expressed in words, so to transmit that feeling that others may experience the same feeling - this is the activity of art.''

Actually, from time to time, we seem to skip that crucial aspect, which requiressth. altogetherdeeper both from the performer and the spectator...In this regard, your capture wispers a lot to the beholder through the mist whilethe striking perspective is inciting the perception forward... (just a slight crop from the top would further emphasize perhaps)

Cheers!

Bahadır

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:45 AM   #3

Hi Eddie

Yes, I CAN feel it! Thanks for sharing a wonderfully classic scene in this photo. It reminds me of some mists I have experienced in Europe at various wharfs (e.g. the UK, Netherlands).

Both mysterious and yet somehow inviting. I can almost smell the sea-water / dam misty air from here, the other side of the world in summer, Australia.

I agree with Bahadir, maybe just a tad of a crop off the top, and maybe even a bit off the bottom too....

Cheers.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:49 AM   #4

Thanks guys......

I'll give it a go, and I think a degree or so leveling counterclockwise too :-)
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:50 PM   #5

Bahadir -

I hadn't read that passage from Tolstoy before. Thanks for posting it. It immediately brought back to my mind Rudyard Kipling's poem about going by sea from England to somewhere in the southern oceans -

http://www.bartleby.com/101/866.html

Air travel has deprived us all of that sort of experience, but that poem brings it back to me - vividly. I especially like the line "And the shouting seas drive by..." Whenever I read that I feel I'm back on a ship's deck again, heading for somewhere new. It would be great to see somebody's photograph evoking that - and the other feelings in the poem.

Herb

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 3:09 AM   #6

@ Herb: Glad toreadyoukind words ofappreciation, which I have just noticed. here! Oh, well, what can I say further about Tolstoy, except I remember not attending a lesson at university so as to readmorefrom him!Actually 'Whatis art' was written in hisages when he wasinto spiritualism...Btw, thank you for the link to the poem by Rudyard Kipling in return.I remember,Ecevit, our late prime minister translated one of his poems: 'IF' into Turkish..and if I ever write an essayon 'poetrywithin painting, musicwithin painting' again, I'd be glad to include' L'Envoi ' by Kipling also : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:14 PM   #7

Yes i sure can feel it, Eddie you did a great job with this nice work
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote