Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:22 AM   #1

Hello friends

I have recently "discovered" a great beach near Adelaide - on the south coast of the Fleurieu Peninsula. A lovley secluded beach, popular for surfers who don't want to be on the "main surfing beach".

The beach is noted to have dangerous rips, so it is not so suitable for beginners or swimmers. I have done some body-boarding there over a few consecutive weekends.

I took this photo from one end of the beach, but I really am not sure it "works". Not sure why. If any people can give any suggestions, I'd be very happy. Your thoughts / views / critiques, gladly received!

The lovely deep rich sand and water colours and dramatic waves I love a lot... but I'm not sure I captured it in this composition.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2009, 1:22 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Paul,

Firstly, looks like a good place to spend some time relaxing :-)

OK, school boy error, horizon...... about 1.5 degrees out

As for composition, I quite like it. If possible, then being able to shoot from a few hundred meters to the right so that the beach makes a natural V leading you into the photo, it is almost there but just a bit too far off to the right so doesn't work as well as it could.

The sky is not the best colour on this day, the water is taking the attraction away from it, I think that is probably the biggest weakness of this shot. If the sky was looking as inviting as the beach and the sea then this would be really sweet!!

Still a lovely shot
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 3:21 PM   #3

Oh, that's beautiful slice of landscape you'veoffered usPaul

Well I'm not going to repeat the issues mentioned above I agree with. I think the sky and the beach should be selected seperately for a little levels, satuartion and vibrance adjustments. IMO, some black rocks on the beach does not contribute much other thanbeing somewhat distracting for the perception that flows aheadsweeping the sand... And once when you touched the clonning tool, you mightalso arrange right handsidein a way to support the appealing perspective you attained ; ) Below is a quick start you may wish to further improve perhaps...

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:59 AM   #4

Hello Mark

Thanks for your very useful and perceptive comments. I think you hit the nail on the head on several points, what disturbed me about it.. but which I couldn't put my finger on. I at least should have picked up on the uneven horizon!

As far as trying to shoot from a different perspective, yes I can see what you're saying. I was standing on quite a high rocky crop near the end of the beach (obviously)... and it went DOWN to the right, but then up again as the land rose out from the sea in a hill. So maybe I could clamber to a position to get a better perspective of the beach's leading lines, etc.

The sky... yes, sometimes even a clear day's sky just doesn't "work" (even with a polariser!)

-------------------------

Bahadir,

As per usual - your keen mind and advice are very helpful. Yes, the sky could be improved with a selective bit of attention...

I had purposefully included the rocks at the bottom to include a bit more depth / interest in the foreground, but yes - as you say - it might not (in the end) add to the photo / composition. Thanks for your suggestions.

Your edit is good... I must make some effort and try some things on the original, but I can't promise any fantastic results... How much do YOU charged for editting services? :blah:

Thanks again.

Paul
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:09 PM   #5

Absolutely gorgeous.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 2:45 AM   #6

Thank you pboerger for your kind compliments.

Though I know with a bit more improvement (thanks to the suggested issues from online friends here) - it can be enhanced more.

Regards

Paul
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:26 PM   #7

Paul this is a great shot with rich colors, i also like your composition in this shot nice edit by bahadir but i do intend to like the rocks you have in the foreground, now the horizon well the straightening tool in PS does wonders ah yesterday on the news i saw that there was a shark attack over there watch out in those waters Paul
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote