Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 726
Default

Hello,

I would just like some feedback on the edit I did on this collage.

Thanks.
Attached Images
 
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2009, 2:16 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Calicajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Quartz Hill, CA
Posts: 3,455
Default

Nice job on the collage, very well done.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:55 PM   #3
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Nice collage. BUT, out of curiosity, what image files did you use to create it? Are they your images? It's very sticky waters regarding images you may use and manipulate.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 726
Default

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Nice collage.¬* BUT, out of curiosity, what image files did you use to create it?¬* Are they your images?¬* It's very sticky waters regarding images you may use and manipulate.
They are not my images at all. I do not take credit for the photographs in this collage at all. They all were just images I found off of the internet. I am not using this collage for commercial purposes. It was simply an assignment for grade 11 photography.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:29 PM   #5
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

It isn't about taking credit. It's about the right to alter someone else's images. Depending on the photographer there are copyright issues involved. Look, it's not like the secret service is going to crash through your doors. But just because a photo is on the internet that doesn't make it 'fair game' to be manipulated. It's a shame your teacher is encouraging you to use someone else's images without their permission. While it may seem like a hard stance - remember, this site is about photography and photographer's rights are an important issue. So the issue I have is more to do with a teacher encouraging that type of behavior. As opposed to using your own images in a collage.


JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,974
Default

The finished product shared is well done. Whether your acquired images are a true infringement on copyright issues and that your instructor should most likely lose his/her license as a teacher for encouraging such reckless behaviour is beside the point.

I remember cutting out pages from magazines of pictures and making collages when I was in school. I really don't see much difference here at all. It is an assignment and it goes no further. I am sure it is not something that will be posted online onwebsite from your school to be sold to defray costs your school which is short on making budget.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 726
Default

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
The finished product shared is well done. Whether your acquired images are a true infringement on copyright issues and that your instructor should most likely lose his/her license as a teacher for encouraging such reckless behaviour is beside the point.

I remember cutting out pages from magazines of pictures and making collages when I was in school. I really don't see much difference here at all. It is an assignment and it goes no further. I am sure it is not something that will be posted online on¬*website from your school to be sold to defray costs your school which is short on making budget.
It's simply an assignment that the students received in school. They were supposed to take photos off of the internet of their choice and make a collage out of it. Like the previous poster said, there is no difference in cutting out images in a magazine and making a collage. This was supposed to be a school assignment and I posted it here to get critiqued on the edit itself. I was not intending to sell this at all, nor am I claiming that I took the photographs.

Thanks for your interest.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dickson, Tennessee
Posts: 461
Default

shooting_rubber wrote:
Quote:
vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
The finished product shared is well done. Whether your acquired images are a true infringement on copyright issues and that your instructor should most likely lose his/her license as a teacher for encouraging such reckless behaviour is beside the point.

I remember cutting out pages from magazines of pictures and making collages when I was in school. I really don't see much difference here at all. It is an assignment and it goes no further. I am sure it is not something that will be posted online onwebsite from your school to be sold to defray costs your school which is short on making budget.
It's simply an assignment that the students received in school. They were supposed to take photos off of the internet of their choice and make a collage out of it. Like the previous poster said, there is no difference in cutting out images in a magazine and making a collage. This was supposed to be a school assignment and I posted it here to get critiqued on the edit itself. I was not intending to sell this at all, nor am I claiming that I took the photographs.

Thanks for your interest.
I beg to differ. Yes there is a difference between cutting a pasting a collage and taking images from the net. One is obviously a cut and paste project, the other is posted on the net.
Someone, who is not so honest, could easily save your image to their hard drive and use it for profit.
Your intended use for a class project, is fine under fair use. Posting it on the net is crossing the line and violates fair use.
Sorry if we are coming down on you, but many of us create images for a living and hopefully, someday, you will too. Learn from this and maybe it will save you some pain down the road.
Good luck.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:38 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 726
Default

shadokachr wrote:
Quote:
shooting_rubber wrote:
Quote:
vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
The finished product shared is well done. Whether your acquired images are a true infringement on copyright issues and that your instructor should most likely lose his/her license as a teacher for encouraging such reckless behaviour is beside the point.

I remember cutting out pages from magazines of pictures and making collages when I was in school. I really don't see much difference here at all. It is an assignment and it goes no further. I am sure it is not something that will be posted online on¬*website from your school to be sold to defray costs your school which is short on making budget.
It's simply an assignment that the students received in school. They were supposed to take photos off of the internet of their choice and make a collage out of it. Like the previous poster said, there is no difference in cutting out images in a magazine and making a collage. This was supposed to be a school assignment and I posted it here to get critiqued on the edit itself. I was not intending to sell this at all, nor am I claiming that I took the photographs.

Thanks for your interest.
I beg to differ. Yes there is a difference between cutting a pasting a collage and taking images from the net. One is obviously a cut and paste project, the other is posted on the net.
Someone, who is not so honest, could easily save your image to their hard drive and use it for profit.
Your intended use for a class project, is fine under fair use. Posting it on the net is crossing the line and violates fair use.
Sorry if we are coming down on you, but many of us create images for a living and hopefully, someday, you will too. Learn from this and maybe it will save you some pain down the road.
Good luck.
Well the project was to be printed at school and then the teacher would mark it... I just posted it here for feedback. I did not mean for my thread to turn into a thread about ethics. I understand that stealing someone's work is definitely wrong, unethical and illegal, but my intention was not to steal this. My intention was to get critiqued on the edit itself, to see what I can improve upon next time.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:03 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
tjsnaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 652
Default

I Like the collage, I might tome down the flag a little bit especially on the right side where it covers the faces. But very well done.

As for the ethical issue it all boils down to intended use. I don't think you did anything wrong here. Heck look at how many photographers take pictures of statues. Isn't that steeling someone else's art? If you could sue for that every photography magazine ever publish would owe money to the guy that made that statue at the Rockefeller Center in NY


tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:43 AM.