Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:27 PM   #1

Hi all,

I am an amateur and just joined this forum today. Here is a recent shot of mine slightly digitally edited to:

-Warm & bring some dynamic effect on the fumes.
- Add my signature at the bottom......:lol:

Please feel free to review & comment as this one of the reason why I am here in this forum.

Attached Images

siddhartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:48 AM   #2

There are a number of things I see that you should watch out for. First off the cup is dirty on the outside. This makes it visually unappealing. The background is a good 'coffee' color and brings out the steam nicely. But the cup is overexposed and washed out. This affects the sharpness and gives it a fuzzy edge. The bright red and the letters on the cup are not plainly visible. I suppose the worse aspect of the photo is what exactly is the subject? If its the cup then why have you cut off the cup on two sides? If its the steam then there should be more of it visible to make it the center of attention. And if its the Timmy's logo then the cup should be turned so the logo is full square on to the viewer. You choice of typeface is good, being a casual face for a casual drink. Ive corrected some of the problems by darkening and giving the pic more contrast. You can see that the type and edge of cup has sharpened up slightly. I hope you've found this helpful.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:02 PM   #3

Thanks Bynx for your review & the time spent in rectifying the image. As said, I am a novice so need to learn thru your experienced eyes. The pic looks much better now after the editing, did you use Adobe Photoshop?

The subject for this composition was the mark on the cup saying "Hot...." which I tried toemphasise by the steam. I took another photo of the same cup where the complete cup is the subject. This one captures the complete cup.

Thanks again!
Attached Images

siddhartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:44 PM   #4

All of us Canadians will appreciate that fine cup of Tims coffee or should I say HOT:-)
vexedviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 1:05 PM   #5

mmmmm I will admit I am an avid tims drinker. Specially when I roll up and win free coffee from time to time.

I agree with pretty much everything Bynx said in his post. Need to be careful about your focus and exposure. Other than that a very cool idea for a shot! Making me enjoy my cup of coffee right now
ScoobyDooby is offline   Reply With Quote