Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:48 PM   #1

I'm having a hard time deciding which photo is better?

Which would you choose and why? Also how can I make them even better?

What I started with:

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2009, 4:28 PM   #2

I would choose #1 for it's wider field of view and the composition to me at least, and to make it better i just cropped from the bottom a little then used the clone and healing brush got rid of most of the noise in the sky and a few other things in PS CS4
Attached Images

hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:57 AM   #3

Jack....
Crops are an individual preference on how tight you make them...You will get 50 different opinions...For me, your first shot is the good one...It looks less compact if you know what I am trying to say...Area around your focal point is a good thing...
With your mountain an it's size you would want a bit of area to show just how big it is...One other comment...Rainer is the most gorgeous mountain I have ever seen and I got a chance to see it close up on my last flight to Seattle...Not a cloud in the sky, no haze and the pilot actually got to circle about half of it before coming into seatac...So with that said, why would you want to put a bridge in front of it....Just an observation....:O
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:36 AM   #4

John at the Beach wrote:
Quote:
Jack....
So with that said, why would you want to put a bridge in front of it....Just an observation....:O
Well let me explain... I plan to sell some of these shots in Tacoma's Farmers Market and a lot of local folks like that old bridge. Also I thought it kind of "framed" the mountain too. I'm trying to come up with a shot of Rainier that you don't see everyday as since we live here, we've seen every type of Rainier shots.

This photo of my Vette with Mt Rainier was pretty popular last year.

Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:50 PM   #5

Ewwwwww, now the vette shot I like....I would have bought that one and I live on the east coast...OK, if the locals like the bridge and the mountain adds to the shot and it makes you a few bucks, who am I as a flat lander on the east coast to worry about a little bridge.... The vette shot is really neat....
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 1:07 PM   #6

I gotta say Jack I didnt like any of the shots mixing the beauty of nature with the man made ugliness of the bridge and surrounding stuff. Your last shot of the car is another story. Beautiful lines complimented by the beauty of nature is a good mixture. That one I like.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:54 PM   #7

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for your first set. I didn't want to say anything, but my reaction (as a mountain person from the south,one of the hated Californians who has only driven through Washington once or twice)was that the bridge and the mountain didn't go together. I just felt that the bridge framing didn't work, but I can see your point, especially if the bridge is a local landmark. I thought the first one, if you cropped a bit off the bottom, might be better, I like the color and contrast better and think it doesn't look so contrived/jarring (?not sure that's the right word)as the second one (just my opinion).

The really funny thing is that I thoughtof your picture with the Vette when I first looked at the bridge pictures. I had seen it when you posted it before and it stuck in my mind as such an awesomepicture (hadn't realized that you had taken both - just remembered the car and the mountain and how impressed I had been with the shot).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 3:22 PM   #8

Well, I agree that the bridge is ugly and retracts from the beautiful Mt Rainier.
I don't intend to sell that one anywhere but at the Tacoma Farmers Market which is maybe only 5 blocks from that old bridge. Here is the story and the bridge and they used the photo similar to mine in it.
Historic Tacoma bridge closed
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...bridge24m.html

Apparently that photo was good enough to make the Seattle & Tacoma papers last year... It took awhile but I manage to find the place he got the shot... in the bushes near a park downtown.

Old May 2, 2009, 1:47 AM   #9

OK, since some of you didn't like the bridge framing Mt Rainier... I went back there today and shot a couple different versions.
What do you think?

My Subaru along Ruston drive w/Tacoma & Mt Rainier as a backdrop shot with Nikon P90

Now the same scene without the Subaru, shot with the Pentax DSLR

Now zooming in...

Old May 2, 2009, 2:30 AM   #10

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
OK, since some of you didn't like the bridge framing Mt Rainier... I went back there today and shot a couple different versions.
What do you think?

My Subaru along Ruston drive w/Tacoma & Mt Rainier as a backdrop shot with Nikon P90

Now the same scene without the Subaru, shot with the Pentax DSLR
Well the picture taken with the compact i don't like as the detail is no good but why would you shoot at ISO 400?
the pentax shot is better but the detail is washed out in the background.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote