Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:30 AM   #11

I'm no pro either, I've just scratched the surface of what can be done with photography also. I'd starve if I were try being a pro. Thanks for the compliment on the second picture, it's my favorite of all the ones I've tried taking at this spot.

HDR is actually pretty easy - just take the pictures, import them into the program and then play with the sliders to get what you want. It's faster and the results are better if you have the camera stabilized, but it's not absolutely necessary. Both of these were taken with the camera resting on something - a wall in the first one, a rock on the edge of the artificial stream in the second one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:50 AM   #12

ive been trying hdr too ..... not too sure if i have been doing it right though LOL.

been taking three shots at different shutter speeds and also altering the brkt to the likes of +2f 1.7 and -2f is this right :?either way using photomatix ive had some great results:lol:

ive manually set the camera for each shot as i dont know how to take three at once
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 1:27 AM   #13

Different cameras do different things when it comes to bracketing and adjusting exposure. I have two cameras - one can do 5 bracketed exposures with one press of the shutter, and one that can only do 3 and you have to press the shutter for each exposure. My previous camera couldn't bracket at all.

Most cameras have a way of changing the exposure, without doing it all manually. It's usually referred to as Ev or something like that. If you can't set up the camera to automatically bracket the shots, then try taking one picture at Ev -1, one with the Ev at the normal setting, and one with Ev at +1. That will get you one under-exposed shot, one over-exposed and correct. They say to keep the aperture the same so you don't get differences in the depth of field, and your camera will adjust the shutter speed to give you the set exposure (whether over, under or what the camera thinks is proper). That way you don't have to figure out the right shutter speeds yourself (I can never remember how they work).
Old Apr 25, 2009, 1:45 AM   #14

thanks for the reply

ok i have a d90 , there is a brkt button on the side of it . so if i alter the ev numbers the exposure will adjust itself ..... lol i was changing all the settings manually:lol:
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:08 AM   #15

Take a look at your owner's manual and see if it explains how the bracket button works. I looked up on a review site to see what capability the Nikon D90 has. According to the one I read, it's capable of 2 or 3 exposures and can set the intervals at 1/2, 1/2, 2/3, 1 or 2 stops. You'll need to read the owners manual since what I saw in the review didn't offer enough information to figure out exactly how it works. I suspect you'd use the button to choose which of the various options (2 or 3 frames) you want and then push the shutter.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 4:50 PM   #16

Auto bracketing with your camera wont work because the difference between shots is not enough. You need at least 2 fstops under and 2 fstops over.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:57 PM   #17

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I'm no pro either, I've just scratched the surface of what can be done with photography also. I'd starve if I were try being a pro. Thanks for the compliment on the second picture, it's my favorite of all the ones I've tried taking at this spot.

HDR is actually pretty easy - just take the pictures, import them into the program and then play with the sliders to get what you want. It's faster and the results are better if you have the camera stabilized, but it's not absolutely necessary. Both of these were taken with the camera resting on something - a wall in the first one, a rock on the edge of the artificial stream in the second one.
LOL.."starve" I hear ya there.:sad:It seams becoming a "pro" is getting harder and harder.

I have recently acquired Photomatix, and have done some button and clicking and it looks like it is going to be quite uselful. Hopefully I can match your 2 efforts you have posted here.
AEB is such a "NEW" concept to me, guess I gotta shed off the old and embrace thenew.
SternSteve121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 1:01 AM   #18

Bynx - I wondered about that. I've been using 5 exposures, separated by one stop each so I have 2 under and 2 over - and as you pointed out, it wasn't enough for the foreground light to be blown out in the first one. It surprised me that the D90 would only do a three exposure bracket, and the reason I recommended reading the owners manual to confirm how it would work.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:24 PM   #19

mmm now i see , i can set my d90 to auto bracket 3 shots now as you say read the manual lol and then in increments from as low as 0.3 upto 2.0 so i guess it would be better for me to do two runs total of six shots?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 4:34 PM   #20

Nothing wrong with 6 shots. Ive used as many as 9 and Ive heard of others using even more. But usually you would only need the brightest, darkest and average of those 6 to make 3 shots needed. Its all going to depend actually on the scene you are shooting and how much of a range you have between the brightest and darkest areas.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote