Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:22 PM   #1

The original of this picture had some color problems, but some lovely, strong texture. I've been interested in black and white conversions, and more minimalist type of pictures (my camera has a dust alert feature, and one time tried using a blue sky to check it, just as the car I was riding in went under a tree. The silhouette outline of the branches against the white was cool). So I played around with a couple of black and white layers - mixing two bw presets in CS4, and changing the layer blend mode, just playing around -looking for really strong contrast. This is the look that I was aiming for, but now that I have it, I'm not sure it works with this picture, and would be interested in what others think of it. Is there too much dark/undefined areas? Is it too abstract to be understandable/interesting? Any comments/suggestions/discussion of it would be appreciated. If you think its rubbish, let me know why, as I'm just not sure about it. I think I like it sometimes, other times I don't but don't know why either way.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2009, 7:33 AM   #2

MTG.....
There is always a place for photo's like yours...Not everyone will like it but that is what makes photography interesting...Color, B/W, Sepia, etc, everyone has a like or dislike...Personally, I like your shot...The design in the wood, the angles that it has and being b/w, to me is a great way to show it...I don't think a color version would have been as interesting...For me, it works as is....Good shot...:G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:22 AM   #3

Thanks - I wasn't sure whether I should try cropping out the reflection because that seemed to be the part that had the most black. I thought I might have too much empty black in the picture, but I keep going back to it and looking at it again. You are right about the color version (it's even worse than you can imagine looking at this).
Old May 4, 2009, 11:38 AM   #4
conor

Personally, I love it, I just wish it was bigger! My eye immediately wonders what happens next with the grain of the wood... something intriguing about the pure random that nature can produce...
Old May 4, 2009, 11:51 PM   #5

Very interesting observation, and a good one. I tend to get too involved with one aspect of a picture and miss the overall effect. Looking at it with fresh eyes, you are right - it does kind of leave you wanting more.
Old May 9, 2009, 9:07 AM   #6

it's kind of a cool "abstract". But it seems you may lose quite a bit of detail due to it being way too dark.. . . but maybe that's just on my monitor??
soliz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 7:56 PM   #7

It is dark - that's actually the effect I was trying for, though I'm not sure it really works. I wanted it abstract and to not have detail in the dark areas (there were problems with the original), keeping only the texture of the wood.

Most people aren't crazy about this one, so I think it's probably not the best shot to try this type of thing.

Thanks for the feedback.