Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:57 PM   #1

One of the assigment for class is to shoot an image with a framing element. It could be anything just as long as it is framed.

I am stock between these two image. I really like both but I would like some inputs on which would is better and why. I know at the end of the day it would be me that would make the final decision.

Both image shot with my Pentax ZX-L film slr camera loaded with Kodax tri-x 400 film. I scanned the negative with my Canon flatbed scanner.

I admit the framing of the cross is not perfectly centered, it shift to the right a little. But the like the "human" element in the picture. That little girl playing really adds to the image for me. I also like this one because it is more unique, you don't see this image everyday.

I see this image as more generic. I seen this done many times because it works. It looks nice and simple. The main framing subject is the cross but I wish I would of watched out for the tree leaves that blocks a little bit of the seal or creast under the main cross.

Tell me what you like and don't like about both image and why.

Thank you,
SAi
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2009, 1:38 AM   #2

I shouldn't be the first one to respond because I'm so hopeless when it comes to composition. And I've never taken a photography class. But just my personal, uneducated, opinion - I like the first one. The slightly off-center cross doesn't bother me because that's only part of the story, the school girl is the main story. I find the leaves over the crest in the second one more of a distraction. If you could re-shoot the second one, it might be harder for me to decide as the second one would be so classic looking. The only thing I'm not so sure about is the focus on the first one - the girl isn't as sharp as the gate. Of course, you could be pointing out that she's "behind bars" or something else that's philosophical/allegorical along those lines, which would account for the focus point.

Anyway, those are a few sleepy thoughts - its well past my bedtime but I'm having such fun looking at other people's pictures.

P.S. I think the vertical/horizontal lines are slightly off. You might try rotating it a tiny bit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 3:51 PM   #3

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I shouldn't be the first one to respond because I'm so hopeless when it comes to composition. And I've never taken a photography class. But just my personal, uneducated, opinion - I like the first one. The slightly off-center cross doesn't bother me because that's only part of the story, the school girl is the main story. I find the leaves over the crest in the second one more of a distraction. If you could re-shoot the second one, it might be harder for me to decide as the second one would be so classic looking. The only thing I'm not so sure about is the focus on the first one - the girl isn't as sharp as the gate. Of course, you could be pointing out that she's "behind bars" or something else that's philosophical/allegorical along those lines, which would account for the focus point.

Anyway, those are a few sleepy thoughts - its well past my bedtime but I'm having such fun looking at other people's pictures.

P.S. I think the vertical/horizontal lines are slightly off. You might try rotating it a tiny bit.
You don't need a master in photography to view my work. Even if you never taken any class I appreciated you giving me your two cents about my pictures.

The reason why the girl is not as sharp is because this image is heavily cropped.
Here is the orginal image when I scanned it. I also brighten it up a little bit as well.

This image will be printed in the dark room so I am not too concerned with this digital copy being slightly off crooked.

The 2nd one I can go try and re shoot again. Not the first one at least with the little girl playing. If I have time before the semester ends I may go back and shoot the 2nd one again but it does not look like I will have time.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 7:16 PM   #4

I too, am not one to commment when it comes to compostition, but the first one is ringer...........imo.......... the cross is a tad off centerd, but the little girl, is the picture..all works for me
SternSteve121 is offline   Reply With Quote