Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:53 PM   #1

I took these 2 shots of my son with his toy cars and would like to know your general opinion on this composition.

Also, which among these do you feel more appropriate. In the first one I kept little of his face and the viewer's attention is drawn to the cars (subject). In the 2nd onehis face is out of focus but occuoies a larger area, hence draws viewer's attention first and then the cars.

Attached Images

siddhartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:57 PM   #2

Picture # 2
Attached Images

Old Apr 26, 2009, 5:50 PM   #3

There is an element of each pic which is good and bad. I took my favorite of each pic and combined them.

Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:02 AM   #4

I like #1 the most
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 3:01 PM   #5

thanks aladyforty. I too liked the 1st one as the boy's eyes are in contact with viewer and subtly convey aspiration thru his eyes.

thanks bynx too for the time taken to combine both. so you liked the sharp focus on car in the 1st one and the larger part of face in frame, of the 2nd one. did you do this on Photoshop?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 3:56 PM   #6

Yes I used Photoshop. In the first shot I like the cars and their reflection. A nice subject shot. Your sons face is not seen enough to recognize and looks like a mistake him being there. Like he just popped up when you where shooting the cars. He doesnt seem to be the subject. In the next shot his face is more visible and clearly shown although out of focus. But he is looking at the main subject -- the cars. However, the cars have been cropped badly and become secondary. So we have an out of focus subject and a cropped subject. Not sure which is the main focus here. By combining them as I have the main focus is the cars, while your son is of an importance because we are all looking at the cars. Its also a better picture of him. Not sure what your intent was in either shot.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 5:12 PM   #7

Oh thanks again, Bynx.

In both of them the subject is cars (at least I tried that way) but in the 2nd one I attemptedto include a bigger area of his face and noticed that the viewer's attention gets to him first and then to the cars.....so the subject is getting confused. From this context, I prefered the 1st one as the subject is prominent there. What you said about the 1st one, is also correct and has been overcome in the combo.

Best Regards
Old May 1, 2009, 1:45 PM   #8

I think Bynx hit it spot on with his PP one
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 10:31 PM   #9

I like number #3 better. Bynx hit the spot on the composition of the face. The only thing that I would add to it is on number 2 and 3, I think the yellow shirt kinda of draws the attention a way. It is too bright and off centered. If you can re-shot it, I would have him wear a dark shirt or position him where you can't see the shirt.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote