Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 4, 2009, 3:46 AM   #1

I welcome your criticisms on this. I know there is much noise but not much I can do with a point and shoot camera having such a small sensor. I made this from a 3 photo HDR and then gave it a run through with Noise Ninja.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2009, 11:10 AM   #2

I find the stillnessyou attained quite appealing...

However I think you could apply the noise reduction seperately on the night sky and the edifices; the former being stronger toheal the blotchiness, the latter somewhat milder to preserve the details, which, altogether would provide a desirable misty atmosphere. I simply tried and liked it : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 3:27 PM   #3

Thanks for your comments Bahadir. Seems you are the only one willing to put yourself out and say something instead of just gawk and move on. This is the scene at the end of the driveway I see every time I leave home. This was taken about 1:30 in the morning when all was dark and silent. The shot was an atterthought since I was actually out shooting an intersection down the street. Its pretty noisy in spite of the fact I was shooting at ISO200 or ISO400. But the sky was very black indeed with only a glowing moon and the small sensors in point and shoots just dont handle the dark well. I dont feel this picture can be saved but was just wanted to hear from anyone who has more experience in night photography that might have something to say. Thanks again.
Old May 5, 2009, 5:36 PM   #4

Actually I had also liked your earlier 'night time hdr' in this forum due to similar qualities I mentioned for this one. Btw, below is a version I have just obtained, which calls for asomewhat more subtle job of course!

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 6:42 PM   #5

I rather like your touch my friend. It looks almost like a somewhat foggy evening. The sky is nice and clean looking. Its surprising how close to the scene it does look. Thanks a lot. By the way it looks like our trip is off since KenD is selling his cabin.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:07 AM   #6

I like the scene and the HDR effect, but didn't like the noise. I think Bahadir's edit is quite nice, and I'm sure you could probably do better with the original shot.

I know what you mean about p&s sensors being difficult when it comes to noise. Would using a longer shutter speed have helped or hindered? I could understand why it might not have helped (i.e., more hot pixels etc.), but just wondered.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 6:00 AM   #7

The nite was so black out I started off with a 4 sec shutter speed. Thats the longest I could go. Then I went down to get my 3 shots for HDR. I know I push this little beast as much as Im able. But thanks Mtngal.
Old May 6, 2009, 8:47 AM   #8

Bynx....The pix

What I'd rather know is why do you take a BB gun on a moose hunt , then complain when it doesn't fall,after you shoot him :O
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 10:44 PM   #9

Thanks for the explanation. I don't know which is more frustrating - having your equipment be the limiting factor or yourself. I guess your situation is more frustrating because you can't do anything about the equipment, and it's SO satisfying when you learn how to deal with your own limitations.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote