Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 4, 2009, 8:19 AM   #1

Just wanted some opinions on which PP looks better, 1 was done in PSP X2 and the other in PS CS4 shot in RAW.

hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2009, 9:15 AM   #2

Both shots aren't ideal. The first one is sharper and has more 'pop' with a loss of details in the shadows, while the second is kind of flat with too much detail in the shadows. Something in the middle between the two processes would give you an ideal image in my opinion. Something like this. I hope you can see the difference.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 9:21 AM   #3

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Both shots aren't ideal. The first one is sharper and has more 'pop' with a loss of details in the shadows, while the second is kind of flat with too much detail in the shadows. Something in the middle between the two processes would give you an ideal image in my opinion.
Ya that is the way i see it, the bottom one was done in CS4 RAW i think i added to much of fill light that brought out to much detail.
Old May 4, 2009, 2:55 PM   #4

Interesting comparison of software. The first thing I noticed in the first one is that the light on her shoulder is more or less blown out and the transition between it and the rest of her arm is really harsh (part of that could also be my not very good work monitor). The second one the color transition is better and it looks less blown-out. But I also like the contrast in the first one better (and it does look a bit sharper). Overall, though, I prefer the second one as I find the light on her shoulder really distracting, to the point I don't notice the more positive parts of it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 4:38 PM   #5

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Both shots aren't ideal. The first one is sharper and has more 'pop' with a loss of details in the shadows, while the second is kind of flat with too much detail in the shadows. Something in the middle between the two processes would give you an ideal image in my opinion. Something like this. I hope you can see the difference.
Yes i can see some difference as i went back into RAW in CS4 and redid it, i went a little overboard with the fill light on the previous one

Old May 4, 2009, 4:46 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Interesting comparison of software. The first thing I noticed in the first one is that the light on her shoulder is more or less blown out and the transition between it and the rest of her arm is really harsh (part of that could also be my not very good work monitor). The second one the color transition is better and it looks less blown-out. But I also like the contrast in the first one better (and it does look a bit sharper). Overall, though, I prefer the second one as I find the light on her shoulder really distracting, to the point I don't notice the more positive parts of it.
Thanks mtngal you noticed right her shoulder is blown out and your monitor is fine you know i have read that PSP is 95% of what PS is and i have to say it is not even 50% of what PS is
Old May 4, 2009, 7:35 PM   #7

Now that latest is right on. No blown out shoulder and still detail showing in the white bra area. Colors are nice and rich giving a more 3d look. And there is detail in the darker areas.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 10:44 PM   #8

I agree with Bynx - the re-edited one is right on.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 5:16 AM   #9

Thank you both
Old May 5, 2009, 8:47 AM   #10

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Yes i can see some difference as i went back into RAW in CS4 and redid it, i went a little overboard with the fill light on the previous one
Actually pushing the fill lightmight have such an adverse effect. So, I sometimes findopening the image right into the CS4 to use the shadow/highlight tool to be more rewarding, but not always:?

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote