Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 8, 2009, 8:03 PM   #1

Default First Pics

I have just started getting into photography dealing with manual settings. I know these pics do not compare with what is on here and I have a long way to go But do any of these pics at least look a little good for just starting. Thanks Joanne
Attached Images

rubyreddawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2009, 11:22 PM   #2

Nothing seriously wrong with any of these. What camera are you using? I like the two zoo shots better than the dandelion, which is softer than I prefer (it's pretty good, just think it could be better). When you start getting that close, every little thing becomes much more critical - focus, aperture, shutter speed if not using a tripod, etc. - so that it's harder to get a really sharp, perfectly focused picture.

The lion picture is fun, it makes me want to reach out and pet her, her fur looks that soft (and her big teeth aren't in evidence).

The penguin picture is very nice - the sharpness of the bird and its color sets it apart from the background. I guess some people would like the picture better if the background was more out of focus, perhaps, but it isn't busy and I don't think what you took detracts from the very sharp bird (just my opinion, I'm sure others will disagree). Next time you might try taking this picture just as you did this one, then a couple of other ones using different, larger apertures to throw the background more out of focus (if your camera/lens combination will allow it). They might not be any better than this one (depends on the lens), but it's always worth trying (there's always the delete key!).

P.S. You might also try cropping the penguin picture so it's a vertical instead of horizontal. You don't need that much background on the right and left sides - I think that would help the picture quite a bit.

Last edited by mtngal; May 8, 2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: thought of something else...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 6:18 AM   #3

Thanks, I really expected much worse than that. And it might be yet to come. But thats okay, Im just learning and need want to learn what I am doing wrong so I can try and correct it.
I am using a kodak dx7890 right now. I figured it would be good enough to play around with for a while. I have read so many reviews on what to get and not I am totaly confused on what a good camera would be. Any ways thanks for your imput. It was greatly appreciated... Joanne I want to be able to find a camera I can take good night shots with.
rubyreddawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 8:52 AM   #4

I like them, very nice
soliz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 9:30 PM   #5

nice work i thing yellow flowers need some sharpness
Old May 11, 2009, 3:27 PM   #6

The Kodak is a nice camera, but with it's smaller sensor, it's going to be harder to get a smaller depth of field, which would have helped with the penguin shot. You'd probably need to step up to a dSLR to get much better than what you did. The trick you'll want to learn is how best use what you have - the extra depth of field can work for you, and there are compositional things you can do to deal with it when it's a negative, such as cropping your penguin shot as a horizontal. I'm not very good at composition, so am not the best person to advise you on such things.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote