Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 9, 2009, 12:10 AM   #1
conor

Default Red River Locks

I did this in Photomatix out of three exposures. Unfortunately i had a HUGE lens flare through the middle of the brighter two, so I had to give it an extreme makeover to try to get rid of it. C&C welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2009, 12:05 PM   #2
conor

Quick edit to reduce the lens flare.

Old May 10, 2009, 4:08 PM   #3

Would it be possible for you to post the 3 exposures to this thread with the EXIF data?

The shot could be better though. I do, however, like your graveyard picture.

Thanks.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 9:38 AM   #4
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting_rubber View Post
Would it be possible for you to post the 3 exposures to this thread with the EXIF data?

The shot could be better though. I do, however, like your graveyard picture.

Thanks.
do you want to edit them or just see them?
(I'll post links to the 3 meg files if you're wanting to edit)
Old May 11, 2009, 5:10 PM   #5
conor

Here are the three frames (original files)

neutral
dark
light
Old May 19, 2009, 8:29 AM   #6

I liked reflections of the lights on the 'turbulent' river from the steel construction of the bridge! But could not explore where the green lights -the source of which I could not see in the originals either- come from! Anyway, perhaps you liked it that way which requires no explanation at all : ) Below I attach a 'conservative' version of mine.
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 9:08 AM   #7
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
I liked reflections of the lights on the 'turbulent' river from the steel construction of the bridge! But could not explore where the green lights -the source of which I could not see in the originals either- come from! Anyway, perhaps you liked it that way which requires no explanation at all : ) Below I attach a 'conservative' version of mine.
I was trying to pull some of the red out of the image hoping that I could get rid of that nasty flare.

Now that I've given it some thought, I think I had a (very cheap) lens filter on the lens when I took these. Similar to a discussion in another thread, I think the filter caused the flare (light reflecting between lens and filter)
Old May 19, 2009, 10:23 AM   #8

After playing around with your original files I think the shot is no good because of the flare. Aside from the obvious circular spot, the sky in the left side has horizontal streaks. This would be worth going back and reshooting. Try it again with the filter on and off so you know for sure where that flare is coming from. Lens coatings are there to prevent light from bouncing around between it and the filter. I think its something else. A strong light to the left just out of shot range.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 11:16 AM   #9
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
After playing around with your original files I think the shot is no good because of the flare. Aside from the obvious circular spot, the sky in the left side has horizontal streaks. This would be worth going back and reshooting. Try it again with the filter on and off so you know for sure where that flare is coming from. Lens coatings are there to prevent light from bouncing around between it and the filter. I think its something else. A strong light to the left just out of shot range.
There wasn't a light there AFAICR, and the filter was worth about 8 bucks, I just keep it on the lens as protection and usually take it off before actually shooting.

Edit: I have another similar shot, but shot panned about 15 degrees to the right (covering much less of the bridge and some of the shore). The flare is in the same physical place in the image (different place relative to the subject) so I really do think that it's related to the (very) cheap filter.

I am planning on going back and re-shooting the scene when I have a chance. Hopefully I pick a much warmer day next time.

Last edited by conor; May 19, 2009 at 11:21 AM.