Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 9, 2009, 12:11 AM   #1
conor

Default Graveyard

I had two slightly different frames of this, I played with them the best I could to get this ominous effect. Exposed in 'bulb' mode for about 110 seconds (f11).

C&C appreciated.

Attachment 204728

Edit: As you can see, I left my lens hood in the car and got that flare from a nearby lightpost... It was cold and I was running out of feeling in my fingers so I didn't bother reshooting; maybe next time.

Last edited by conor; Apr 21, 2016 at 9:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2009, 7:55 AM   #2

That's a very interesting effect. Very unique. it may just be me, but the entire image looks a bit soft, possibly from the process you're using? But very interesting nonetheless. But I like this a lot. What are your plans for the image?
soliz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by soliz39 View Post
That's a very interesting effect. Very unique. it may just be me, but the entire image looks a bit soft, possibly from the process you're using? But very interesting nonetheless. But I like this a lot. What are your plans for the image?
The image was a tiny bit out of focus to begin with, at least the foreground was, but you are correct, the processing didnt help.

I don't really have any plans for the image besides posting it, though I should find some use for it. The whole set (there were orthers similar from the shoot) reminds me of Camille Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:59 AM   #4

It wouldnt be much effort to clone out the flaring lines of light on the right. Perhaps some unsharp mask to sharpen a bit. Other than that this is a nice shot.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 7:44 PM   #5

I like it too.

I haven't had all that much luck with long exposures, so don't have any suggestions for improving in-camera. As far as post processing, I'd try several different methods to sharpen - either smart sharpen or unsharp mask.

Another method to sharpen is to duplicate the background layer, then use a high pass filter to identify the edges (use something between .5 - .9 for the radius), desaturate the layer if needed (it will be all grey but you'll see the edges) then change the layer mode from "normal" to "overlay" - it will make the picture look sharper by defining the edges better but not alter anything else.

You can do something similar using two layers and the emboss filter (use default settings). I think the instruction I saw used either hard light or soft light for the layer mode (forget which it was) rather than overlay. This last one tends to be more defining than I usually want, so I don't use it much. I tend to use either high pass or a combination of smart sharpen and USM mostly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 8:22 PM   #6
conor

I got another piece of advice in another photography forum:

When shooting in the dark, you often have nothing to focus on (either manual or AF). Go into the scene, place your open cell phone on a subject so that theres a light point. Return to the camera on your tripod, and let the AF focus on the light spot from your cell. Turn off the AF (so it doesnt try to seek focus when you eventually fire), retrieve your cell phone, and fire the shot.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:18 PM   #7

Quick edit... Unsharp mask, and cloning out the light that is on the right side of the image.
Attached Images

shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 11:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
The image was a tiny bit out of focus to begin with, at least the foreground was, but you are correct, the processing didnt help.

I don't really have any plans for the image besides posting it, though I should find some use for it. The whole set (there were orthers similar from the shoot) reminds me of Camille Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre.
Definitely frame worthy.
soliz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 12:03 AM   #9

Using the cell phone's light to focus? Very cool idea! I'll have to remember that one, thanks for passing that on!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 11:55 AM   #10
conor

As Bynx suggested (and shooting_rubber executed), the unsharp mask did a great job on the original.
Doing a good job of cloning out the flare isn't taking me too long, but I took a stab at the powerlines and it's just painful, especially where they run through the trees.

I'll have to work on this when my wrists aren't so tired - my mouse control sucks!