Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 11, 2009, 11:50 AM   #1

Default Nature

I've used my Canon EOS 450D to shot those...
Even, fascinated since always, I'm new on these "photography world", and I'm here to learn...
Attached Images

xonao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2009, 2:42 PM   #2

I should know better than to look at pictures when I'm at work - the monitor isn't the best. But, your first shot overcomes the poor monitor.

The first picture is wonderful, excellent color and very sharp subject. I've always tried to hedge when shooting these types of pictures by using a smaller aperture, but they don't usually come out nearly as nicely as yours did. I also like the third one, but it looks a bit soft on this monitor. If others say it's sharp then put my comment down to the poor monitor.

The middle one is a difficult situation for lighting. I don't care for the blown out white petals. What type of metering did you use? I often use spot metering for flowers, especially if they are light and bright colors. That way, the background (which I don't care about) doesn't influence the picture so much. Or did you use spot metering and the camera metered off of the black on the insect, blowing out everything else (done that, too)? In any case, I think that picture is overexposed - but it's also a more difficult shot to get right.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 9:12 PM   #3

i like the first one, #2 would look well if cropped and three, i believe that it is missing composition. btw........ is your lens the 50mm f/1.8? i took the liberty of cropping and a little pp of the bee and flower. hope u dont mind
Attached Images

Last edited by slinkydog; May 11, 2009 at 9:29 PM.
slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 3:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkydog View Post
i like the first one, #2 would look well if cropped and three, i believe that it is missing composition. btw........ is your lens the 50mm f/1.8? i took the liberty of cropping and a little pp of the bee and flower. hope u dont mind
For sure I don't mind! As I've told I'm here to learn, and with Your comments and suggestions I will achieve that goal.
Yap! You are right: 50 mm F/1.8 lens.
xonao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xonao View Post
I've used my Canon EOS 450D to shot those...
Even, fascinated since always, I'm new on these "photography world", and I'm here to learn...
What i was thinking:
Overal I like the pictures.

The first picture is good. What if you pointed the camera a bit up and showing the ends of the flower too? Because now it's half top..and half below... and still have the insect in the shot...

With the 2nd picture you can still change the composition if you think there is a better one. I like the bokeh. It's not too blurry and you can still recognise some things. I would cut some away, but not everything.

3rd. I would take another angle, more from the side. The green branch on the left does give the picture more...a purple flower floating in the picture will be scanned quickly by human eyes. because there is not more to see.

Last edited by feetjai; May 21, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote