Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 17, 2009, 3:53 PM   #1

Default Birnbeck Pier, W-S-M

Took this picture earlier today, messed around with it a bit and I just wanted some input on the finished article. Personally I like it apart from I think it could have been slightly more in focus.

Your opinions are greatly valued

Whitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2009, 1:26 AM   #2

Very nice.

Nice use of line and perspective. Personally, I'd crop a bit of the sky out so that the horizon is not quite so centered. (I don't think the sky is adding much - it's about the lines in the pier.) Maybe crop a bit off the left so it' symmetrical.

Nice work.
ClickedImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 6:28 AM   #3

I'd have sworn the horizon is tilted down at right, but I just measured it and it isn't. I'd still prefer it tilted up a bit at the right. It's the apparent downward slope of the arm on the right that creates the illusion. Also I tried to wipe the vertical marks off my monitor until I realised that it's probably Wenvoe TV masts, is it?

But even though the illusion is a little uncomfortable, I like it a lot. Nice light.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 9:35 AM   #4

Thankyou for the kind words, I'm still very new to it all but I'm quite proud of what I've achieved so far

I also thought the horizon tilted down to the right, and like you, I measured it and was surprised that it was even. It's funny how the pier on the right is creating that optical illusion.

As for Wenvoe TV masts, to be honest I didn't notice they were there until I read your post. And yes, the chances are they are Wenvoe TV masts as it is South Wales in the background. A very sharp eye you have

Thanks again.
Whitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 10:09 AM   #5

Thanks, Whitey. I'm a Yorkshireman brought up in S.Wales from age 4, and I've visited Weston many times, but don't remember that pier. I'm down the M5 now & again (relatives in Bath & Chippenham), so I'll probably go and take a look next time.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 1:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickedImages View Post
Very nice.

Nice use of line and perspective. Personally, I'd crop a bit of the sky out so that the horizon is not quite so centered. (I don't think the sky is adding much - it's about the lines in the pier.) Nice work.
I agree - overall very nice but I think it would be improved with more of the sky cropped off. The sky doesn't add much and losing some of it would, IMO, improve the composition.

But still a great image as is.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote