Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:38 AM   #1
conor

Default Tiger Lilly

I don't usually bother aiming the camera at a flower, but I see all the gorgeous flower pictures posted here and I had to give it a shot.

I find this boring, though the color is bright and the little water droplets are clear, the image doesn't do much for me (unlike a lot that get posted on steve's). What should I do to make a shot like this better?

(lightly cropped for centering and resized)
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:16 PM   #2

Hi Conor, nice flower. The reason you find it boring may be that it is almost two-dimentional, being shot from almost straight above. Next time, drop to one knee and shoot from a lower angle to give the flower more of a three-dimentional look. I don't shoot flowers, so I only know what I would like to see, not that I am a flower shooter, if that makes any sense... Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:59 PM   #3
conor

thanks for the input.

the reason i shot it from above is that the side view of an upwards facing tigerlilly is quite boring... i couldnt think up a better way of getting the actual flower in teh shot.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:01 PM   #4

It has such a striking colour! How about applying some shallow depth of field through software for a more dimensional look and to make the subject stand out even further by selecting the inverse of flower for lens blur at PS?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:07 PM   #5
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
It has such a striking colour! How about applying some shallow depth of field through software for a more dimensional look and to make the subject stand out even further by selecting the inverse of flower for lens blur at PS?
Good idea, I'll give it a try.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 6:44 PM   #6

Conor, here is a quick edit of your flower ala Bahadir, I hope. What do you think?

Old Jun 4, 2009, 8:59 PM   #7
conor

I definitely do like the background blur, i also like how you've managed to make the water drops pop.

Mind if I ask what you did to it?
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:37 PM   #8

Not at all. First, I selected the flower with the magnetic lasso tool in PSE 4.0, then I selected inverse. That allowed me to do a levels adjustment on the flower only, as well as slight bump in saturation and hue. I think what made the drops pop was slight sharpening.

Next, I did an inverse selection, which allowed me to work on the background. I used a fairly weak Gaussian blur on the background, then clicked de-select and saved the pic as a copy, which I put here.

I use an older version of photoshop elements, and it still serves me well. There are features I haven't used yet, so why upgrade?

Anyway, it is my opinion that without some pp, most pics from most DSLRs are not that great right out of the camera. Hope this helped...Robert
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:15 AM   #9
conor

I had a quick go at it, I think mine is a bit more subtle, but I have no opinion of which I like better. What do you think?

Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:19 AM   #10

By golly, I think you got it. I like yours better because the color is truer to the original photo. Good job! Robert