Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:17 PM   #1

Default Cardinal

Hi Folks,

I didn't do any processing to this - just a crop to get the image size down some.

The picture was taken on a Sony A700 with the Minolta 50mm f.1.7 lens through a window.

I think it's not sharp enough - it was hard to hit the focus right because the feeder was swinging pretty violently - so that's probably part of the problem. I think it's probably over exposed by almost a stop as well, but wanted to see what you all thought.

I didn't have the best light today for this location, so I kind of think I need a little more DOF, but also wanted to keep the ISO down as much as possible. I was on shutter priority at 125.

Anyway, let me know what you think, and maybe what I should adjust in my setup etc.
Attached Images

Last edited by ncjaybee; Jun 4, 2009 at 3:25 PM.
ncjaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:26 PM   #2

definitely front focused. The chest feathers are in better focus than the face. You always want the eyes to be sharp, so focus there. The bar across the bird is also a huge distraction. Exposure really isn't bad - certainly not a stop overexposed - the specifics of light or dark portions of the frame here could easily be addessed - but the bar and focus on chest instead of eyes is the problem. For what it's worth, that's too wide an aperture - you really want to be at 5.6 or 8 - you really want both the chest AND face to be in focus and there isn't enough dof for that here.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the input... I agree about the composition for sure - I'd have cropped this differently for that (or better yet, used a different pose). I'm new to this camera (had an A100 before) and set up this feeder right outside my office window. I need to set up the camera on a tripod inside the window because with this lens, I've got to be close to get in tight enough. If I put the tripod right inside the window, I can put a hat on the camera so when I'm not there, it looks like I am and the birds won't flare when they see me as they land.

Or, since I should be over f4 for this, I could use my 70-210 F4 and sit farther back and zoom - as long as I have the light to get my shutter speed up - I'm thinking I can't go much below where I am without getting motion blur even if I use a tripod and remote - does that sound right?
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:54 PM   #4

Here's a shot from the other day - used a flash on this one...
Attached Images

Old Jun 10, 2009, 7:19 AM   #5

Default Cardinal

NCjayBee.....
If your going to be a "birder" so to speak, your going to need all the lens you can get...50mm is no where near what you will need...Unless you have your favorite Parakeet in the living room cage...Always try to get the shot of your bird in his element...Through the window is ok if you just want to show your friends that a certain type did come by to feed, but in the trees or flying by will make a much nicer shot...I am by far no expert but I manage to get a few in the back yard...Here's one I got a few weeks ago...This one was shot with a 400mm...He was about 30 yards away...
Attached Images

John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote