Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 14, 2009, 7:46 AM   #11

Well I really like that last shot. But I feel Im being cheated on whats to the right. Here is where you need a panorama shot. By the way guys, when you get into HDR you will be so pleased, you wont look back. Im always thinking HDR when I shoot now. Especially where the range goes from bright sunlight to dark shadows. Give it a try, its easy and you wont regret it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:01 AM   #12

I don't usually have much to say in the way of critiques - I'm more a technical photographer than an artist. I do shoot quite a few landscapes, though. I really like your second shot here. The composition is excellent. I think the first shot would have worked better framed so the log was more or less at the left side of the photo, and with more of the lake and hills on the right.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 1:43 PM   #13

Bynx,
Not sure why I didn't think to do a Pano shot of the lake. We were a little rushed as the weather was turning bad on us. Think maybe I should take a check list with me next time, if I can just remember to look at the check list while out shooting. I agree that learning to do HDR is something that is now a big part of photography. I'm just a little slow to change, oh no I am becoming my Dad.

VTphotog,
I saw the log and my mind focused on the log and not the surrounding area. Which made me break one (probably more) of the rules, never center the subject. Looking at the picture now (first one), I can see a number of different ways it could have been shot. Not centering the log, blurring the background or using my 10mm lens which for some reason I thought was on the camera.

Thanks all for looking and commenting,
Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 7:08 AM   #14

Craig, that's undoubtedly a gorgeous place to shoot, and I should say both images quite appealed to me! My humble opinion about the first image is that; I liked the log serving a thematic foreground to the scene, but the dirth below it should be cropped out as it doesn't add anything and the scene would look a bit more panoramic that way (you might also stretch it just slightly at PS without any disturbing ). Besides, should you select the background for a little bit tweak for the water and the sky, the perception would be freed to venture forward breaking through and over the foreground : )
There's much truth in Bynx's saying regarding the HDR, even only for the sake of deeper skies! Below is a pseudo hdr. I'm sure you could blow our minds with a genuine one consisting differently exposed three images : )
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:38 AM   #15

Nicely done there Bahadir. You are using Photomatix well. I just got my hands on a video tutorial on HDR and Photomatix and Im learning a lot.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Nicely done there Bahadir. You are using Photomatix well. I just got my hands on a video tutorial on HDR and Photomatix and Im learning a lot.
Thank you my friend! I remember well your kind support when I started experimenting with hdr ; ) Hey, I'd be delighted to see what it is you find useful!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:45 PM   #17

Bahadir,
Interesting take on the log picture, would have not thought about taking the dirt out of the foreground in order to give a more panoramic view. Will have to play around with the log picture some more and try some different things and see what happens.
As for HDR, between you, Bynx and my (who always telling me to bracket) wife, I'll have to set my camera to bracketing so I will always have three pictures of each scene. Well there goes the disk space on the computer. Good thing Hard Drive don't cost to much now days.

Thanks for looking and commenting,
Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote