Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:31 AM   #1

Default Some B&W need C&C

By Canon A590IS and newbie

Gam3Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:36 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I'm not a B&W or abstract expert but I like the B&W conversion and the feel/composition of these shots. Sorry to say I can't offer any more than this.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:12 AM   #3

I like both images.

I think the 1st one would work better vertically. Nice use of diagonal elements. I like the tonality in the main shaft, but would like to see the focus moved down toward the viewer a bit. (There is probably enough depth of field to keep the support structure sharp.)

Nice use of texture and tone in the 2nd image.

Nice work.
ClickedImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 1:27 PM   #4

Both images are fine as a B&W conversion. The only issue is your focus. Pic #1 needs more DOF. If you had shifted your focus lower down the pole, you could have fudged sharpness at the far end. With an image that has points of interest at extreme close-up and nearer to infinity, the sharpness closer to the lens will project a perceived sharpness in the farther objects.
Did you use a tripod? If not I would recommend it for these types of pics.
Image #2 I like as it is.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:09 PM   #5

Thanks for comments

Mark1616 - I'm very new in B&W and for this kind of shots, just practise composition.

ClickedImages - I like it horizontally, because thats the way I compose it, but maybe your right.

shadokachr - For the first shot would be better to set aperture to F8.0 to be all in focus? (A590IS have manual controls, the shot is at ~F5.0). I don't have tripod, but maybe will buy one cheap Gorillapod (its small and nice). For this two shots I don't need it, I have good image stabilisation and the light was good, too.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam3Ra View Post
Thanks for comments

Mark1616 - I'm very new in B&W and for this kind of shots, just practise composition.

ClickedImages - I like it horizontally, because thats the way I compose it, but maybe your right.

shadokachr - For the first shot would be better to set aperture to F8.0 to be all in focus? (A590IS have manual controls, the shot is at ~F5.0). I don't have tripod, but maybe will buy one cheap Gorillapod (its small and nice). For this two shots I don't need it, I have good image stabilisation and the light was good, too.
F8 might not have been enough. Probably F16 or F22. F8 might have worked if you had racked your focus slightly in, as opposed to toward infinity.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:45 PM   #7

I think it will work very well, this camera is with small sensor (1/2.5") and is with very wide DOF, its difficult to get blured background. It dont have smaller aperture than F8