Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:05 AM   #1
conor

Default Self Portrait

I have a crappy monitor so the brightness of this might be a bit out... and, the self-portrait isn't vanity, i just need practice and nobody else will tolerate me hitting them with two flashes for an hour solid while I figure things out.

Attachment 204724

Edit: I no longer host my own websites, all links I've ever posted to my work are dead, I'm going to attempt to re-post in all my previous threads as attachments to preserve the history of any discussions

Last edited by conor; Apr 21, 2016 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:21 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I really like this, good shadows to give shape, if you could find a way to get a reflector to bring some light in from above to just pick out the hat (or hair if you were not wearing a hat. Some might say underexposed but I think it works really well and creates a great mood. Do you do martial arts or something as it has the feel of a fighter before going into the ring.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:33 AM   #3
conor

No martial arts, it was just the only dark hooded sweater I had!

My monitor sucks, its quite possible that the brightness/contrast is out. it is dark, but looks fairly decent here...

It was done with two flashes, an SB-900 on camera off my little reflector and an SB-600 on the floor behind me (but slightly to my left) which caused the slightly more lit right hand side.

I was trying to fully light my outline, unfortunately I was working in a room that's only 7 feet long and by the time you use up space for the tripod and background, I couldn't get the 600 far enough back to give the effect I wanted.

Post processing was slight brightness/contrast changes, skin softening, cutting down the flash reflection in the pupils, and gaussian blur in the background.

Another thing I'll point out is that you can tell which side of the camera the 900 is on, that side of my face is slightly more lit - not sure what i'd do to avoid that....

Edit: can you see anything i could have done different apart from having the backlight flash centered? (and somehow managed to get the front flash to hit evenly?

Last edited by conor; Jul 18, 2009 at 5:40 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:03 PM   #4

Great self portrait! The mood you attained is moving indeed! I'd almost ask if you studied drama besides martial arts : ) I find the light parts on either sides to the bottom somewhat distracting though, and thought a somewhat more dramatic lighting as in baroque way emphasizing your stare would work.
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:24 PM   #5
conor

Bahadir, thanks for the kind words and once again for taking the time to try and edit, it looks great!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:46 AM   #6

Hi Conor

Good and interesting work on this photo - it presents an interesting self-portrait.

I think that your original is already good. I like Bahadir's edit, but maybe find that the skin on your face is a little too "hot" in the edit, but I do like that it brings out your eyes more.

For me, I wonder if the first version with just somewhat brighter eyes would work best. I think you have a good start.

I don't think I could make myself look "mean" enough to get this to work with me... but hey, maybe! :-)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 9:15 AM   #7
conor

Paul, thanks for the words and advice, I'll give your suggestions a shot tonight.

as for looking mean, I believe it's the editing that makes me look that way (and the fact that the image is slightly under exposed.