Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 26, 2009, 9:14 AM   #1

Default Shadows of Stonehenge

What does everyone think of the following photo? With Steves black backround on the site, the photo kind of gets lost.... maybe it needs a silver outline for posting on this site but Im not sure how to do that....

JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:07 PM   #2

In my opinion you have too much non essential elements in your cropping. Its a nice landscape shot so crop it as such. This is one way. Another would be to use the 1/3 rule.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
With Steves black backround on the site, the photo kind of gets lost....
At the bottom left of the page there is a small window that lets you change between the dark and light themes - one click does it.

The bottom does need a crop.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:22 AM   #4

Good cropping suggestion and execution Bynx! Perhaps trimming off a little bit from righthanside could also work...The desolation of this over four thousand year old megalithic structure is more strongly conveyed now! I'd also select the greenery at the bottom for more exposure to abstract the silhouettes.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:59 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. Bahadir, are you saying to bring out the grass in the foreground more or make it all black? Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
Good cropping suggestion and execution Bynx! Perhaps trimming off a little bit from righthanside could also work...The desolation of this over four thousand year old megalithic structure is more strongly conveyed now! I'd also select the greenery at the bottom for more exposure to abstract the silhouettes.
Also, I thought Id throw in here that that location isnt so "desolate" anymore. There is a fairly major highway running just by it. Kinda saddens me a bit. Were ruining everything with technology.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakAHearts View Post
Thanks everyone. Bahadir, are you saying to bring out the grass in the foreground more or make it all black? Thanks!
Yea, I meant brinnging out the green more as if lit by late afternoon sky...and thus abstracting the structure from the 'black' ground, which could, somehow, give a more distance feel to the silhuette, after applying the rule of the thirds through cropping.

Quote:
Also, I thought Id throw in here that that location isnt so "desolate" anymore. There is a fairly major highway running just by it. Kinda saddens me a bit. Were ruining everything with technology.
I certainly share your concern mate. Regarding Stonehange, such megalithic architectural examples in England and France which are datable about the 3rd Millenium BC are indeed very plain, yet as much impressive post and lintel structures as put in Art History books. There I enjoy observing art yet in the service of antique religions in the early phase of its history...
In fact, just the opposite is expected, isn't it? I mean, the route of a major highway which runs too close to a historical site should be changed as they did here in Sardes or Sardis.

Last edited by bahadir; Jul 28, 2009 at 1:48 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
I mean, the route of a major highway which runs too close to a historical site should be changed as they did here in Sardes or Sardis.
There are many proposals to do just that, at Stonehenge, but money is the problem!
athegn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by athegn View Post
There are many proposals to do just that, at Stonehenge, but money is the problem!
Then “Build- Operate- Transfer” model migh have been proposed shrewdly for 49 or 99 years