Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:09 AM   #1

Default Silent Machines

Took this a few months back at an abandoned flour mill. What do you all think? Just need critiques on possibly what I did wrong.
alphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:48 AM   #2

I think you did well here. Its an excellent illustration of what's left of the mill. It would be useful to go along with an article in a magazine about the mill. Other than that, what would you do with it?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:03 AM   #3

The stuff which did the job well once will rest there forevermore...Nice symmetry and melancholy, which would probably be conveyed better through a wide angle lens.
Now, that may sound a bit much common but I'd go sepia and try some more dramatical look through exposure, contrast, etc, such as below.
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:26 AM   #4

Excellent Bahadir. The photo looks like it was taken around the time Henry Ford was walking the line as he produced his Model 'T'.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:33 AM   #5

Thank you.

bahadir - I'll definitely give it a whirl and see what I come up.

Bynx - I'm a self-taught photographer so I always have room for improvement. Plus I didn't use a tripod for this shot so wasn't sure if anything was wrong with it. Was thinking about putting it in a book of photography I'm putting together.

Last edited by alphie; Jul 29, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:56 AM   #6

The problems we can comment on here are based on what we see. Whether you used a tripod or not doesnt matter to us as long as your photo is in focus and nice and sharp. Sometimes when people post here they should explain what they are trying to do and ask if it was achieved. Often, such as a photo like this its its not easy to comment on because of its subject. Technically its good but most would not be interested in it. Bahadir has done an excellent job and gives the photo that timeless quality to a subject dealing with the ravages of time. A wide angle lens would have helped here I think.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:19 PM   #7

Ok, sorry about that. I'm really new to asking critiques on my photos.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:59 PM   #8

No problem. Just remember, as in any forum, when you ask a question, the more information you can supply the more detailed response you will get.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 4:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Excellent Bahadir. The photo looks like it was taken around the time Henry Ford was walking the line as he produced his Model 'T'.
Thanks for your kind remark my friend! With each passing year I seem to agree more with Tolstoy's philosophy of art based on sincerity, he put down on paper in his old age, which also drives me to wish more to penentrate into the realm of an image : ) Btw, I always wondered what the sky and landscape really looked like back in those years and even earlier outside of our learned sepia or black and white perception...The works of a Russian photographer called Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii, the pioneer of colour photography, quite appealed to me in this regard, which might also be of your interest: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Se...okudin-Gorskii

I should thank again to Alphie for sharing the inspiring original!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:54 PM   #10

I think this shot works well, the edit by bahadir really makes it pop! The feeling that it goes on forever keeps drawing your eyes to find more detail. Well Done.

Mugmar
Mugmar is online now   Reply With Quote