Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

View Poll Results: The photo has a cutting edge, worth submitting for a competition
Strongly Agree 0 0%
Moderately agree 1 9.09%
Disagree 10 90.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:34 PM   #1

Default Seriously need comments

I am planning to put up this picture for a local competition, under 'Travel & Nature' category.

This was shot with a slow shutter speed just before the stream entering into a fall. Pl advise improvements, cropping ideas etc. So, as to make your job easy, I have included voting buttons and please use them if you are in a hurry to leave a detailed feedback.
Attached Images

siddhartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:57 PM   #2

Hate to burst your bubble but this pic is hardly worth entering any competition. I dont think that Photoshop can improve it much. Its very flat and colorless. The water highlights are blown out. This is a classic example of creating an HDR. One exposure for the sky, one exposure for the water highlights, and one exposure for everything else. In this case I dont think a slow shutter speed was required. It just flattened and burned out the only action in the scene. I dont like the composition. That dead stuff and other assorted branches poking in from the left dont do anything for the pic. I hope you get more comments as this one is strictly mine.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:46 PM   #3

I have to agree with Bynx. I looked at this for quite a while to see what you could do to improve it. If you can go back there try changing the angle of view to show more of the stream flowing into the picture and show more of the mountain in the background. Using one of the rocks to accent the foreground might add a little also. There are many opinions on silky water. I feel this is a little much, try several shots at different shutter speeds. These are just my thoughts, do what you will with them.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:54 PM   #4

Default Thanks for quick feedback

Thanks for yr attention......so, this one can't flow thru i agree.

How about this one on same category? I used neutral density filter on this one and hence some parts looks less lighted. Probably this can be fixed?
Attached Images

Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:08 PM   #5

OK, the comp on this one is much more pleasing. The tree (or bush) in the foreground adds to the framing. The "silky water" does work for this also.
Like the other shot, the picture seems flat (no contrast) and seems to have a green color cast to it. I did a "quick and dirty" edit. (hope you don't mind) The adjustments I made were minor levels and shadow/highlight tweaks and desaturated the yellow and cyan colors.

Mugmar
Attached Images

Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:00 AM   #6

I agree with Mugmar. You have all the elements here as in the first picture but it works better here. The composition is ok, the silky water looks ok and the highlights arent blown out as much. I wont go on because Mugmar said pretty well all there is. I fixed your photo with just auto levels and auto color in Photoshop.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Aug 1, 2009 at 7:29 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 10:30 AM   #7

Good morning siddhartho! Here is my take on your second photo, I tried to put more emphasis on the falls.

Bob

Last edited by bhammitt; Jun 4, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 12:16 AM   #8

Thanks very much for your passing by this photo and spending time to re-do this. I will absorb the ideas put in by each one of you & then work on it myself in digital darkroom before submitting......
Old Aug 2, 2009, 1:48 PM   #9

Hi,

Back again with an update........after much deliberation, thought of not submitting this one as whatever done, it has a problem with lighting. The colors have a shade of greenish-yellow may be due to improper White Balance. Found another one from my collection & have submitted this one.

C&C welcome as there is still opportunity for replacement.
Attached Images

Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:21 AM   #10

While the lines of the clouds seem centered and proper the bottom land and pond area looks like its shifted to the left too much and doesnt look right to me. I see the focus is to be on the clouds however, some thought must be given to the rest of the picture for an overall easy look. I dont get it here. Sorry.